Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,462,492 times

Advertisements

Judges in Dallas are sending cops out to bring in scofflaws, so many not showing up. Even pulling people off the street with no warning to fill jury panels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM

914 posts, read 1,837,545 times
Your employer is not required to pay you while you are on jury duty. Your employer cannot fire you because you served on a jury. Many employers, however, do the right thing and continue to pay their employees while they are on jury service.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:55 PM

552 posts, read 835,913 times
It's like the IRS fear of getting caught cheating on your taxes... it's one big bluff. In this case, since it's sent via regular mail, there is no way you can tell if it was delivered or not.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 PM

31 posts, read 40,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
also - well known fact amongst court advocates and attorneys - if you ever find yourself in real trouble waive your right to a jury trial. the judge is going to be less biased - probably even in texas and southern districts
Wow, you could not possibly be more full of it. I have been a lawyer in the justice system for 27 years, so I know a bit about how this stuff works. Virtually NO lawyer in Texas would waive a jury in favor of a judge. Judges tend to have the thought that being "tough on crime" will get them re-elected. Therefore, they tend to convict more often than juries...lots more often. Any lawyer worth a damn will take his chances with a jury, especially these days, where lots of people know how crooked the cops and DAs are.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 PM

123 posts, read 200,030 times
I think we should eliminate jury trials and have judges decide. I went 3 times when I was summoned and wasted a whole day being led around like cattle in a pen. I ended up making up every single hour of the missed time at work for free. (I'm salaried) I throw away the summons now. I did get one of the warnings telling me I was violating the law. I ignored it.

Sure you can say I will be sorry if I am charged with something. But I have never been charged with anything and don't know anyone who has. I'll take that chance.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 AM

31 posts, read 40,608 times
So, bmantx512, you would like to ditch the US and Texas Constitutions and have government agents decide the guilt or innocence of every person accused of a crime by the government? Do you have enough faith in the government that you are willing to let them control everything? What if a political party comes to power that you oppose? Do you have faith that this opposing party's government agents will treat you fairly?

Read your history books. There are numerous examples of the perils of government controlling trials. Even more sad is the fact that one would throw away his constitutionally protected rights over 3 days wages. Just 11 days ago, we honored the men and women who waded ashore at Normandy Beach 70 years ago. Many gave their lives to protect that Constitution. Today, we won't give a day's salary.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 PM

123 posts, read 200,030 times
Red Scare huh? If your question is would I support a constitutional amendment to eliminate the burden the jury law places on working people in America? the answer is yes. The rest of your post seems to be flag waving hyperbole so good luck with that.

Ain't it great that we can disagree in America?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,819,288 times
I know of someone that came in for jury duty. He got stuck on a 3 month civil trial. Some of the people on the jury were self employed. A few said that the jury service just about bankrupted them.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:42 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,280,259 times
What we need to do is address the reasons so many people despise being called to jury duty. For one thing, start treating potential jurors with respect instead of indentured servants. Conduct as much pre-screening as possible online and se up satellite locations for the rest so that people don't waste a bunch of time and money going downtown just to be dismissed. Provide parking and lunch and guarantee their salary so it doesn't cost them out of pocket. If the employer won't pay it and the juror is too expensive for the system then they are too expensive for the system. Reduce the size of jury panels from 12 to 7. Hold some trials at night where panels consisting of day workers can attend. Limit trial time to 4 hours per day. Group jury panels geographically and hold some trials in satellite locations.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 AM

538 posts, read 1,364,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I know of someone that came in for jury duty. He got stuck on a 3 month civil trial. Some of the people on the jury were self employed. A few said that the jury service just about bankrupted them.
My husband and I are both self-employed. When we get called, we feel it financially. Three months would kill us.

Their exemptions need to not be so black and white. Not everyone has a secure job to go back to, protected by law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: