Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,279,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Let me borrow one of your lame arguments. Rednecks can be white, black, blue.... I didn't say white people - you did.
You obviusly did not read the comments below the article. There were numerous mentions of the "white devils" and the whitey still treating the slaves as if they don't matter. Multiple instances of others saying this type of thing does not happen to white folks cemeteries, etc.

You need to read that which I referred to before you jump to conclusion, less you like an....

Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM

280 posts, read 385,565 times
maybe if the family that owned it (and is apparently so concerned about the final resting place of their relatives) had shown some care and kept up the place then it wouldn't have been mistaken for an overgrown mess and this mistake might have not have happened. Look for large monetary damages to be claimed

Old 06-19-2014, 03:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
Didn't you hear? You're allowed to be racist...as long as it's against white people.
Even thought I know your just being smart. This statement is actually correct. Blacks can't be racist to whites. We can dislike whites, but it's not the same as racism.

@rep

Perhaps you should learn the history of racism before you start co-signing the idea that blacks can be racist. Racism is more than hating one due to race.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 06-19-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 05:46 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,732,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROON79 View Post
maybe if the family that owned it (and is apparently so concerned about the final resting place of their relatives) had shown some care and kept up the place then it wouldn't have been mistaken for an overgrown mess and this mistake might have not have happened. Look for large monetary damages to be claimed
To the point: this was someone's property. Generally, when we do anything involving development, we do it with our own property. A close second option might be to first ascertain whose property it is and then ask if we can buy it. We don't bulldoze anything we don't know without asking--no matter its condition. What an absurd response.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 PM

398 posts, read 396,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Let me borrow one of your lame arguments. Rednecks can be white, black, blue.... I didn't say white people - you did.
My comment had absolutely nothing to do with your post. I always ignore your garbage.

My comment was about current racial tension in the US in general.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Blacks can't be racist to whites.
This is one of the many ignorances of the black community. It's one of the reason it's been on a steady decline since the civil rights era.

Perhaps you should learn about the European slaves in Africa before the first slave was brought here. My people want reparations. Too bad the fine continent of Africa is too broke to pay us.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:23 PM

Also, since the first humans were believed to from Africa, we are all black. Therefore, according to your logic, no one can be racist.

/thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:26 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,732,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
This is one of the many ignorances of the black community. It's one of the reason it's been on a steady decline since the civil rights era.

Perhaps you should learn about the European slaves in Africa before the first slave was brought here. My people want reparations. Too bad the fine continent of Africa is too broke to pay us.
Most academically-informed definitions of racism at this point in history involve more than simply hating on a skin color. Racism is also seen to involve the power-structures of the society in which the racism occurs. For instance, in the United States, racism has emerged out of a practice of slavery and later segregation. Look at it this way: racism may be a "two-way street" as you suggest, but that response doesn't factor into account who built the "street" and made its traffic laws. In the United States, that was historically white people. Thus, any instance of racism here is really originating within the context of a history of white-supremacist values and laws, whether it be white on black or black on white. White racism is at the root of all permutations of racism in American society. I think it is unpleasant to admit this, but it is also a fact.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:26 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,066,818 times
Houston is really rich in early freedmen history. if the city had done preservation right in the early 1900s-1960s it'd be on the tourist track amongst other parts of the south.

Freedman's town - virtually all of what the 4th ward is was one of the most prosperous black communities in the turn of the century. those bricks that still line some streets were handmade with the sand they carted up the bayou and in carts from galveston. its gentrified so it no longer exists (literally - there is just one small sign and virtually nothing original or even old left)

Emancipation park - most houstonians dont even know what this is

many slaves were brought into this part of the south from the gulf and louisiana along buffalo bayou. they were sold alongst its banks. if you believe one of the stories Houston was first settled because the brothers couldnt safely get their slaves to go any further up the bayou than where the boats last got stuck (fearing a revolt)

sad to see this part of history being slowly erased. its important - not a celebration of slavery, but an understanding of where our cultures came from and went through and a celebration of the people and families that survived those conditions.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Most academically-informed definitions of racism at this point in history involve more than simply hating on a skin color. Racism is also seen to involve the power-structures of the society in which the racism occurs. For instance, in the United States, racism has emerged out of a practice of slavery and later segregation. Look at it this way: racism may be a "two-way street" as you suggest, but that response doesn't factor into account who built the "street" and made its traffic laws. In the United States, that was historically white people. Thus, any instance of racism here is really originating within the context of a history of white-supremacist values and laws, whether it be white on black or black on white. White racism is at the root of all permutations of racism in American society. I think it is unpleasant to admit this, but it is also a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston