Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 06:22 AM

26 posts, read 50,039 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a natural gas line installed in patio. I am planning to purchase a natural gas grill but I notice the line does not have a shutoff mechanism/regulator. There is also a gas line in the laundry room for the dryer that I don't use, but unlike the patio line, this one has a shutoff mechanism. My house is still under warranty with the builder, AWH. Is this something builder should have installed or are they only required to install the line. We did pay for the extra connection in the patio so I would expect the builder to have covered it.

Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated!

Happy Friday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:54 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
IMHO, there should be a cutoff, and it would surprise me if it was not code.

Your grill itself will have a regulator on it, and, more than likely, you have a low pressure (half pound) meter going into your house.

I'd definitely ask the builder why there was no cutoff.

Do you know if the line going to the patio terminates back the manifold where the meter is, or does it go to another line? If it goes back to the gas manifold (usually on the side of the house), that is where they normally put the cutoffs.

Edit: Here is a photo of the cutoffs on the side of the house:

Old 06-27-2014, 09:10 AM

It's nice not having to fill propane bottles that is for sure.

Here is a photo of my Weber plugged into the gas outlet I put on the side of my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Natural gas line shutoff-webersm.jpg  

Old 06-28-2014, 07:54 PM

153 posts, read 540,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IMHO, there should be a cutoff, and it would surprise me if it was not code.

Your grill itself will have a regulator on it, and, more than likely, you have a low pressure (half pound) meter going into your house.

I'd definitely ask the builder why there was no cutoff.

Do you know if the line going to the patio terminates back the manifold where the meter is, or does it go to another line? If it goes back to the gas manifold (usually on the side of the house), that is where they normally put the cutoffs.

Edit: Here is a photo of the cutoffs on the side of the house:
Using copper pipe for natural gas hook up inside a dwelling is not up to code.

The reason is that the sulfur in natural gas will cause the copper to flake from the inside of the pipe clogging gas orifices, which can lead to unsafe operating conditions of the appliance up to and including destroying the appliance.

Black steel gas pipe is only code approved pipe and most localities require a licensed plumber to run it.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech443 View Post
Using copper pipe for natural gas hook up inside a dwelling is not up to code.

The reason is that the sulfur in natural gas will cause the copper to flake from the inside of the pipe clogging gas orifices, which can lead to unsafe operating conditions of the appliance up to and including destroying the appliance.

Black steel gas pipe is only code approved pipe and most localities require a licensed plumber to run it.

That's not my hookup. All my lines run in the yellow tube and hook up to NG risers to galvanized steel.

I just found that picture on the internet to show him what the gas shutoffs might look like.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM

292 posts, read 547,999 times
We have the gas line installed on the patio in all of our homes and yes they should all have a shut off valve. I am surprised it would pass inspection without a shut off valve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: