Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2006, 06:54 PM

7 posts, read 24,015 times

Advertisements

I live in Iowa and planning to move to The Woodlands and Cannott believe how much of a bigger, better house I can get from what I can sell my house in Iowa for! What gives??? I know property taxes in The Woodlands are a little high.. but doesn't not paying state taxes out of your check from work make up for it? Anyone who has moved from the midwest care to explain this to me? What gives?? Are the utilities outrageous?

Also what hourly wage would I be looking at if I wento work for a milk/production/dairy in Houston? Anyone know of any Teamster Union Jobs that hire reguraly? Need help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Houston is known as a cheap date for real estate, especially in the suburbs. I think it is a big draw for people. Taxes typically run around 3% of the value, but there is no state income tax.

As for Teamster Union Jobs, I don't know. Unions are not big at all here like they are up north.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
The trucking companies that are Teamsters can not find enough good help. Some can't pass the required drug tests and such. My dad is one so check w/ those companies. Southwest Airlines is also union.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:59 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
I think its a combination of there being an abundance of cheap labor and lots of land. Unions have very little power in Texas.

The trade-off? Our energy costs are twice the national avg per kw/hr, so your electricity bills are humongous. We're still using a Deregulation plan put into effect by the good folks at Enron...and consumers are getting hosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: