Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
This is no joke. I heard this piece on NPR yesterday as well. Very interesting. The Chinese are obsessed with the US and living the "American Dream". Buying tons of property in the US for cash and driving up home prices in many North American cities either for investment purposes or in the hopes that their children can live here and go to University.

It's not dissimilar from the 1980s when the Japanese were buying lots of US commercial property.
They say 20-30% of all high end apartments in Manhattan are empty. Majority of those are owned by asians that "parked" their money here as a safe investment. I have a friend looking for million+ housing in Los Angeles. He said at open house, they are all packed with chinese foreigners. And they always paid cash.

The chinese are not as obsessed with the "american dream" as they want a safe and fair environment for their kid in the future. If their government is more open and corruption is no longer an issue, they rather stay in china. Ask any chinese and they all will tell you the same thing.

China is really happening and growing significantly. You think Houston's growth is impressive, try growing 2x or 3x that rate in 10 other cities every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM

38 posts, read 89,302 times
Quote:
This is no joke. I heard this piece on NPR yesterday as well. Very interesting. The Chinese are obsessed with the US and living the "American Dream". Buying tons of property in the US for cash and driving up home prices in many North American cities either for investment purposes or in the hopes that their children can live here and go to University.

It's not dissimilar from the 1980s when the Japanese were buying lots of US commercial property.
I live in an area that is heavily Asian (25%) , most of whom are 1st gen Chinese. I can guarantee the vast majority are not paying cash and many are putting less than 20% down. If they have the money they are spending it on fancy cars. For the most part they are stagnating or even devaluing neighborhoods over time by sucking the utility value out of their houses without upgrading or even performing basic maintenance or cleaning on them before trying to sell. Except for the exteriors that is. As more Chinese people have moved in the neighborhood, they have turned more homes into multi family units, or even short term rentals for a bunch of skittish, unrelated people who no one recognizes. Of course on the tax rolls someone is claiming homestead. In schools we have also noticed a bit of a disregard for a more well rounded education in favor of regurgitation. Also the most detrimental is an increase and a culture of cheating, doing anything to get ahead. This has sparked white flight, where whites are either moving rural on land or moving back into one of the white enclaves in the city core.

Edit: I should be clear and say this is coming from a $400,000 suburban price point. Anywhere else I cannot speak for.

Last edited by civil_process; 07-22-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
They say 20-30% of all high end apartments in Manhattan are empty. Majority of those are owned by asians that "parked" their money here as a safe investment. I have a friend looking for million+ housing in Los Angeles. He said at open house, they are all packed with chinese foreigners. And they always paid cash.

The chinese are not as obsessed with the "american dream" as they want a safe and fair environment for their kid in the future. If their government is more open and corruption is no longer an issue, they rather stay in china. Ask any chinese and they all will tell you the same thing.

China is really happening and growing significantly. You think Houston's growth is impressive, try growing 2x or 3x that rate in 10 other cities every year.
This can also be said about wealthy Mexicans.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 AM

366 posts, read 797,299 times
Here's a relevant article about the Chinese buying up property.
The Chinese are coming, and they

Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:

Very good points, ipuck. The huge population in China makes the scale of this all the more impressive (concerning?)

civil_process- we are not talking about Asians who are immigrants- even first generation. The focus is on Chinese Nationals who live in China, many of whom have no intention of living in the US personally.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Very good points, ipuck. The huge population in China makes the scale of this all the more impressive (concerning?)

civil_process- we are not talking about Asians who are immigrants- even first generation. The focus is on Chinese Nationals who live in China, many of whom have no intention of living in the US personally.
Whose kids may one day live here and do exactly what I said above...

Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_process View Post
I live in an area that is heavily Asian (25%) , most of whom are 1st gen Chinese. I can guarantee the vast majority are not paying cash and many are putting less than 20% down. If they have the money they are spending it on fancy cars. For the most part they are stagnating or even devaluing neighborhoods over time by sucking the utility value out of their houses without upgrading or even performing basic maintenance or cleaning on them before trying to sell. Except for the exteriors that is. As more Chinese people have moved in the neighborhood, they have turned more homes into multi family units, or even short term rentals for a bunch of skittish, unrelated people who no one recognizes. Of course on the tax rolls someone is claiming homestead. In schools we have also noticed a bit of a disregard for a more well rounded education in favor of regurgitation. Also the most detrimental is an increase and a culture of cheating, doing anything to get ahead. This has sparked white flight, where whites are either moving rural on land or moving back into one of the white enclaves in the city core.

Edit: I should be clear and say this is coming from a $400,000 suburban price point. Anywhere else I cannot speak for.
You sound like one of those white first colony folks that have moved to Telfar or greatwood. I have some friends that live there that have seen the streets changed radically over the last 3-5 years. Seems like all the white folks don't like the influx of asians moving in and they have moved across the street to telfar or down to Greatwood and/or Richmond.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You sound like one of those white first colony folks that have moved to Telfar or greatwood. I have some friends that live there that have seen the streets changed radically over the last 3-5 years. Seems like all the white folks don't like the influx of asians moving in and they have moved across the street to telfar or down to Greatwood and/or Richmond.
This starts happening when people move in who have no intention of at least meeting their neighbors, and scurry back into their homes when you try. Also the 8 adults going in and out of the house at all hours of the day, yelling on the phone outside at night gets old. You can get a list of homes for sale with owner names and pass judgment on what the inside of the house will look like before stepping in... And be correct 90% of the time.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civil_process View Post
I live in an area that is heavily Asian (25%) , most of whom are 1st gen Chinese. I can guarantee the vast majority are not paying cash and many are putting less than 20% down. If they have the money they are spending it on fancy cars
I'm still waiting for somebody to write a post like this one by about white people and their pickup trucks and Harley Davidsons

Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm still waiting for somebody to write a post like this one by about white people and their pickup trucks and Harley Davidsons
Yep. I'm shocked you haven't done it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston