U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Many 'Overseas Chinese' in Southeast Asia seem to play up being 'Chinese', or at least identify as such, even if they can't speak Mandarin or other Chinese languages, yet I'm curious as to the attitude of Chinese nationals towards these people, say like me, who of course weren't born in China and don't speak the language. One of my Chinese friends said I wasn't Chinese, or not in the real sense, maybe as much as many of those 'guidos' in America are Italian. I mean at one point does not cease being 'ethnically Chinese' or 'ethnically Han'? How would they view say the Chinese Thai or Thai Chinese? As being Chinese who have been assimilated or no longer Chinese? What about the Dai themselves, do the Chinese view them as a Chinese people?

 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:33 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times
Reputation: 416
If you ask me for my opinion, I would say Chinese descent who can't speak Chinese are not Chinese to me.. Period
 
Old 04-03-2014, 04:16 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Reputation: 402
If you are Chinese descent but you are not Chinese National and do not even speak the language then better recognize your nationality first or the place where you were raised and that you were not raised as Chinese. But it's up to you if you still recognized yourself as Chinese because by blood or your heritage you can still claim and recognize if your parents are originally from China.
 
Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Woodbridge, VA
82 posts, read 201,999 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
If you ask me for my opinion, I would say Chinese descent who can't speak Chinese are not Chinese to me.. Period
what if you're a chinese born in china but you're adopted to a non chinese speaking family?
 
Old 04-03-2014, 04:53 AM
 
Location: West Jakarta + Tangerang
376 posts, read 742,189 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Many 'Overseas Chinese' in Southeast Asia seem to play up being 'Chinese', or at least identify as such, even if they can't speak Mandarin or other Chinese languages, yet I'm curious as to the attitude of Chinese nationals towards these people, say like me, who of course weren't born in China and don't speak the language. One of my Chinese friends said I wasn't Chinese, or not in the real sense, maybe as much as many of those 'guidos' in America are Italian. I mean at one point does not cease being 'ethnically Chinese' or 'ethnically Han'? How would they view say the Chinese Thai or Thai Chinese? As being Chinese who have been assimilated or no longer Chinese? What about the Dai themselves, do the Chinese view them as a Chinese people?
your case as chinese offspring from generation to generation, same much like what was experienced in chinese in Indonesia. even they do not have identity as chinese .
now many Indos chinese generations now start learning mandarin, but it does not allow them to be smart to speak mandarin. In Jakarta when you go to a place that has a significant place Chinese , almost all of them speak Indonesian and Jakarta language , except that they comes from Sumatra,Bangka and kalimantan ( borneo ) some of them still speak the local language of china.

Oh Oh Oh ! when they go to China ,people there will assume they "Indonesians" are not Han Chinese.

Last edited by stevania01; 04-03-2014 at 05:04 AM..
 
Old 04-03-2014, 05:23 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
what if you're a chinese born in china but you're adopted to a non chinese speaking family?
To me still not considered chinese... Other people's opinion may differ but that's what i think
 
Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
If you ask me for my opinion, I would say Chinese descent who can't speak Chinese are not Chinese to me.. Period
So you don't consider me Chinese?
 
Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Woodbridge, VA
82 posts, read 201,999 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
To me still not considered chinese... Other people's opinion may differ but that's what i think
not hating but do you know how stupid that sounds?
then what about the uyghur people that do not speak mandarin or any other han chinese language?
if the han chinese cannot accept them as chinese either then they should just let them have their own country, tibetian as well and other non han chinese minorities
 
Old 04-03-2014, 05:38 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
So you don't consider me Chinese?
Nope...
 
Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
not hating but do you know how stupid that sounds?
then what about the uyghur people that do not speak mandarin or any other han chinese language?
if the han chinese cannot accept them as chinese either then they should just let them have their own country, tibetian as well and other non han chinese minorities
That's just what i think..

I dont bother about the uyghur and i dont care if they become independant and rule themselves..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top