Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:57 PM

22 posts, read 71,920 times

Advertisements

It's not that I didn't find anything in Kingwood... I just don't care for the amenities or the people I met. It was myself and DH...since we both grew up in Houston (I was born in the Galleria area/lived in Sharpstown until college. He was in Cypress from age 5 until college). Kingwood is just not for us right now. I'm sure it's a great place, but it's not the place for everyone.

Thanks for the suggestion, but my realtor in Houston is an old friend of mine and I'll stick with someone I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 PM

LOL...thats how I remember River Oaks! I was about to think I must have really missed something if I could afford to live there.

I guess I"ll just have to figure out Houston once again. Strange I was only gone for there for four years and it's already changed so much.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
You could go the townhouse route in the Galleria. Not a great commute to Kingwood, but its reverse traffic and you would be in a stimulating area. Burbing it without children ain't all that great and you will find yourself coming into Houston all the time anyway. You can still find nice ones on Bering and Augusta (Westhaven Estates) in your price range. But I would rent for at least 6 months.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Yeah...it's just the hubby likes puttering in his garden. So while I wouldn't mind a townhouse, he probably would pout about it...hehehe

Old 12-21-2007, 09:06 PM

50 posts, read 62,841 times
Subdivisions near Heights possible under 300k.

Oak Forest
Timbergrove
Shepherd Park Plaza
Ella Lee Forest
Candlelight estates/plaza
Garden Oaks

Hire a good real estate agent! Good luck! Sounds Fun!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
I think the north loop areas are probably going to be your best fit. It won't be everything you seek, but I think once you got settled in you would probably like it. I would focus on Shepherd Park Plaza, Garden Oaks, Timbergrove & Lazybrook, possibly Oak Forest.

You could definitely get a Heights style house in Eastwood http://www.eastwood-houston.com and have easy access to 59, but it is the hodge-podge poster child right now. Eventually that will all get gentrified like the Heights is now, but in the mean time I think it would work your nerves. Since you like the Heights, you might also look at Idylwood, http://www.idylwood-houston.org (broken link) since it doesn't have any transitional neighborhood funk factor, but as far as amenities, good retail close by is not its strong suit.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks for all the assistance. I think we'll do the apartment thing for awhile so we can get a better idea of where to live while being there.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:47 PM

18 posts, read 86,025 times
Sorry, but the trailer being across the street is a very common disaster here, especially if you are looking at newer subdivisions. There is just not enough land to go around anymore.

I appreciate all the activies in Cypress or even Conroe- Conroe if you don't have the kiddos! The average age there seems to be a bit higher, as well as they education and income levels. They do have their share of unique neighbors and homes mixed in together though.

Relax- you're gonna LOVE Houston!!!!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 PM

No ...sorry I won't love Houston. I've lived there many times and it's too high volume traffic, people, and the landscape there just isn't what I like. The parts of town I want to live in, I can't afford, so I'll be stuck away from the center of town. I'll make due and get by, which is what I tell myself every time we end up back there.

I know it's a ****-poor attitude to have, but while I may have been born in Houston, my heart and soul are in places like Dublin, Mochrum Scotland, London, and Dallas and San Antonio (as far as Texas goes). I guess I lived too long with the floods, roaches, and other stuff

Old 01-01-2008, 02:11 AM

197 posts, read 261,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriganwind View Post
No ...sorry I won't love Houston. I've lived there many times and it's too high volume traffic, people, and the landscape there just isn't what I like. The parts of town I want to live in, I can't afford, so I'll be stuck away from the center of town. I'll make due and get by, which is what I tell myself every time we end up back there.

I know it's a ****-poor attitude to have, but while I may have been born in Houston, my heart and soul are in places like Dublin, Mochrum Scotland, London, and Dallas and San Antonio (as far as Texas goes). I guess I lived too long with the floods, roaches, and other stuff
Really missing the point of this post (especially since all of those other places are on the more expensive side)... Next!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston