Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,246,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDAlmighty View Post
Wow! That completely blows my mind that people would be that confident that prices will continue to rise to go through all that trouble, expense, and take so much risk with renters. Hopefully they are right!
Even if prices are stagnant from this point forward, rising interest rates alone will price these owners out, especially if they worked really hard to be in a area they like and have 3% fixed on a 30 year. Even if they're not priced out, it would be much more expensive to own the same thing with the higher interest rates, not to mention the stress of waiting for acceptable house to be available on market and going through another bidding war.

Yes there is risk in renting, but is much less than paying $300K more in interest over the life of ownership due to combination of higher house price and higher interest rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 01:22 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,799,122 times
Even if prices don't spike dramatically, and if interest rates stay stable, selling a house now with the expectation of buying one in 2-3 years means that you'll be paying closing costs going and coming. That tips the balance in favor of renting your place out, especially if you love the house and neighborhood and aren't especially interested in upgrading or trying a different part of town when you move back.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,401,621 times
A lot of Houstonians in the Oil and Gas industry may move away for just a few years, but will be back due to Houston being a hub. The companies pay for your living expenses overseas, so you just rent your house out if you love it. Especially if you have low interest rates or if you bought it before prices started rising.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:43 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,246,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
A lot of Houstonians in the Oil and Gas industry may move away for just a few years, but will be back due to Houston being a hub. The companies pay for your living expenses overseas, so you just rent your house out if you love it. Especially if you have low interest rates or if you bought it before prices started rising.
This^ Plus renting house out is better than keeping house vacant for that time.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:44 PM

15 posts, read 26,105 times
Advisory: The Best-Selling Master-Planned Communities Mid-Year 2014 Update

Old 08-05-2014, 02:58 PM

61 posts, read 127,850 times
Wow, 9 of the top 20 are in Houston.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:39 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,321,890 times
2015 doesn't seem any better
We are in May and my area in North Houston seems like 50% of the houses in my price range are pending.

Thankfully I found a perfect house (same day it got listed) and made an offer and was accepted in less than a week.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:12 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,941 times
Yeah, houses are selling like crazy around here. I was looking at a small house that had been listed for all of 3 days.

When I called the real estate agent for a showing, the seller had just accepted an offer from someone else.

That evening I looked at a different house on har.com and the next day I went to check on it again and it had a pending status. It's nuts.

Fortunately, there's a guy I know personally who is considering selling his home so I may just buy it from him.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:47 PM

26 posts, read 47,668 times
Rose-Rich / Sugar Land area here... seeing new subdivisions going up left and right. Only a few days after new roads are paved, new lots are being marked, and "SOLD" signs are popping up, being put in even before the "Available" signs have a chance for their day in the sun. Gotta be really quick on the draw. Wacky.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:52 PM

331 posts, read 488,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbayer View Post
Rose-Rich / Sugar Land area here... seeing new subdivisions going up left and right. Only a few days after new roads are paved, new lots are being marked, and "SOLD" signs are popping up, being put in even before the "Available" signs have a chance for their day in the sun. Gotta be really quick on the draw. Wacky.
What part of that area are you in? They are building and selling homes like crazy around brazos town center area (59 & 762/reading). People are getting priced out of sugar land, and that area is shooting up in price as well as a result. 59 / I-69 improvements are going to help that area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston