Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 AM

18 posts, read 38,103 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

First of all, thanks for all the wealth of info in this forum! It's fantastic for a first-time buyer, DINK looking for a home Basically we would love to get something inside the loop (we work at U of H) for around 300k. We have looked into all the East areas, and some South like Riverside Terrace, but we are still a bit worried about safety in the latter neighborhood, as well as its possibilities of growth in the next 5-10 years. It seems like a shot in the dark, according to what I have read here. Other possibilities? Our two biggest must-haves are proximity to work (no more than a 20 minute commute), and an area that is growing and getting better. Also, we would much rather get a single family home, even if it's small.

Thank you soooo much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I am not super familiar with the east side in your budget. You can get into a safe part of Westbury or ParKwest easily for that budget in the SW side just outside the loop. The schools may or may not be good.

I know many posters live in Eastwood and love it.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:21 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Hold out...

I think you are looking in the right area, there are deals still to be had at 300K, though may require some work. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you have a couple of decades post graduate school, you will sometimes find yourself saying 'if only I had brought back when...'. Here in Montrose, I remember when you could get an old house, and lot for 25K in the early 80s. I did not live in Montrose, I lived in Southwest Houston, that was "the place to be" in the early 80's.

However, it was a rough part of Montrose back then, next to Taft street, Forth Ward. This was 1981 to be exact; I worked at Shell Information Center by the Astrodome and knew this guy who invested in properties, and he suggested I do it, but I was working full time, and going to school part time and all the money I had went to paying for all of that, I had no money to purchase a home.

Fast forward to today, that 25K house and lot was a deal. You can hardly find just a dirt lot for less than 300K, close to 400K if on a corner. Again, just dirt. And the Fourth Ward is just a shadow of what it once was, there is still the area near the old Allen Parkway project housing that is very ghetto, but that is about it, and even that is gentrifying.

So, if you find a good deal in the areas you are looking at, particularly closer to Midtown/59 around Elgin for example, go for it. You won't regret it ten, or twenty years from now, it will be a mint. And you could always rent it out, don't sell, it will appreciate for sure.

Also, technology has changed so much, you can get alarms now that show you real time what is going on in your home. You can get emails, or texts, and live video of the house. You can even talk to people in your home from your mobile device, or office. It is much easier to catch bad guys these days, and if you work at UofH, you would be about ten minutes away.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:29 AM

122 posts, read 159,570 times
Well how do you do? I live in Idylwood and absolutely love it. Idylwood is around Wayside and Lawndale. Have you looked up and down Harrisburg? Once the line is complete, it will gentrify quickly. Also, across from the golf course is a very nice neighborhood (on the other side of Wayside). Lots of steals over there.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:58 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
Well how do you do? I live in Idylwood and absolutely love it. Idylwood is around Wayside and Lawndale. Have you looked up and down Harrisburg? Once the line is complete, it will gentrify quickly. Also, across from the golf course is a very nice neighborhood (on the other side of Wayside). Lots of steals over there.
I love Idylwood I wanted to buy in there but never found the right house at the right price.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 AM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times
You might want to look in zip 77023, which includes popular Eastwood, Broadmoor, Idylwood and nearby neighborhoods. Quite a few UH faculty and staff live there, as well as others who grew up in the area, left for college and career and are moving back again. There are several active civic associations and a strong Houston SuperNeighborhood organization.

Area property values are increasing. Available housing stock is scarce, but a few new homes are under construction. Flippers have discovered area -- the quality of their restoration/renovtion work varies widely.

I've lived in the area for nearly a decade and have no reservations about its safety. As with any innerloop neighborhood, there is the occasional car or home break-in. A good security system and sensible precautions are essential.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:56 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
I'm one of the posters in Eastwood (we renovated what would have been a tear down in Montrose or Norhill), and we really like it. Great neighbors, safe, and lots of great homes. Of course within cycling distance to UH.

Your challenge in any older area is finding the right house. The maintenance and renovation quality varies widely, so it will feel like a needle in a haystack versus new townhomes or suburban neighborhoods. You really have to focus and be ready to jump when you find what you want, the good homes will go in days while the poorly done homes will rot on the market. It's worth it in the end, though.

You are welcome to PM me if you want more info on this area. I have owned homes in Eastwood, Idylwood, Parkwest, and Willow Meadows (the first three are in your price range).

Last edited by travelguy_73; 09-20-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 12:15 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Have you looked at Glenbrook Valley?

Old 09-20-2014, 12:24 PM

Smile Further South?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
So, if you find a good deal in the areas you are looking at, particularly closer to Midtown/59 around Elgin for example, go for it. You won't regret it ten, or twenty years from now, it will be a mint. And you could always rent it out, don't sell, it will appreciate for sure.
Thank you for your reply! What about a bit further south, like East of 288 and north of MacGregor?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Yes, and it is definitely one of the places we are considering. The only thing that makes me nervous is the proximity to Hobby airport...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: