Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:37 AM

686 posts, read 1,168,073 times

Advertisements

So is this thing getting built or nah? Last article I read slated it was delayed to 2016 and I'm worried if the local economy falters due to the oil bust it may not get built at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Oil can be $500/bbl and I still wouldn't hold my breath for anything like this being built in east Montgomery County.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Someone told me it will be finished by this summer.

I guess not.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Someone told me it will be finished by this summer.

I guess not.
If by "finished", you mean "done", "through", "quitsville", "thrown in the towel", etc, then yes, that might be very well possible.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:49 AM

203 posts, read 337,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
lol.

It's interesting to note how different the tone of this thread is vs. that old Earth Quest one where everyone was legitimately geeked up over the dino park.

When something actually develops in East Montgomery County, it will have a unicorn petting zoo. That and Bigfoot, who will give the kids a piggyback ride through the magical forest of New Caney for five dollars.

I hope so, I've always wanted to pet a unicorn. Cant wait!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:13 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Just this summer, I read several articles hyping this Grand Texas theme park, once again. I chuckled because it claimed that it would open in Spring of 2015, but wasn't going to break ground until September of this year.

I just looked at several of the different satellite imaging sites such as terraserver, and I can't find a single image of anything happening. Of course, it is possible that the images aren't up to date and ground may have been broken.

I'm curious, is there anybody who drives past the site on here, and if so, can you confirm whether ground clearing has started.

Personally, I will be amazed if a park is actually built. IMHO, this was doomed from the start. Don't get me wrong, I hope it is built, but I doubt it will happen. It's hard to take anyone serious who claims to go from a forested lot to a fully functioning theme park in six months.
Pedro... you should be a fortune teller! Your post was eight months ago. And now, from two articles in Monday's Chronicle:

Report: Schedule slips for long-awaited 'Grand Texas' theme park - Houston Chronicle
Quote:
A proposed Montgomery County theme park and entertainment complex has updated its construction schedule.

Grand Texas Sports and Entertainment District, a proposed 620-acre, mixed -use development in New Caney, was expected to open some portions of the business by mid-2015, but organizers are making further changes to the master plan, according to Impact News.

Monty Galland, CEO of the privately funded district at Interstate 69 and Texas 242, told Impact News that some features have been delayed by a year or more due to design issues and delays in utility hookups.
Theme park developer remains optimistic, gives new timeline - Prime Property
Quote:
Galland said in an interview Friday that his group is now two years away from installing the necessary infrastructure to power the theme park, which he originally said would open in December 2015. Projections for an opening are now closer to the end of 2017 or spring 2018.
If they're two years away from even installing infrastructure (roads, drainage, electricity), how are they going to open a year later?

This will NEVER get off the ground.

And way down at the end of the article....

Quote:
Also in eastern Montgomery County, plans for a nature-themed park to be called EarthQuest have been in the works for several years. That project already has received millions in sales tax revenue bonds, and the county is still working with developers to find investors for the land.
It's already received millions but still looking for investors???

Old 06-03-2015, 07:19 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I would like to know why nobody builds this or anything like it where AstroWorld used to be

Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Because that will be housing or a med center addition.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 AM

203 posts, read 337,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I would like to know why nobody builds this or anything like it where AstroWorld used to be
Because that's Rodeo Parking

Old 06-22-2015, 07:04 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Anybody drive past the site lately?

Anything happening besides trees hanging out?

If they actually plan to have a water park open by summer 2016, they'd have to be clearing land by now.

(Yeah, I know this is a pipe dream)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston