Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:48 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,420 times

Advertisements

I don't mind at all if kids from other neighborhood come trick or treat at mine. In fact there are a lot of them came over because we gave out nice treats. We only bought treats that we would give it to our child. When it ran out we just turn off the light, that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:02 PM

87 posts, read 241,436 times
your not supposed to visit a neighborhood you dont live in or were not invited to by someone that lives there. thats just messed up, how can you not see that?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:07 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,623 times
it's for the kid's enjoyment. i don't mind, it's one night a year and as long as they don't tear up the neighborhood, no biggie.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:16 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Neighborhood kids are ususally done by 8:30. And everyone pretty much shuts down when the vans pull in and unload. 8 month old babies on your hip don't need candy.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:19 AM

498 posts, read 837,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
This is such a dumb comment of some many levels if your not white stay out of my neighborhood
No, the dumb comment in this thread is yours for assuming the other poster is white and wants only other white kids trick-or-treating in their neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Oh come on. Give the kids a little treat. Next we will have a thread talking about not giving candy to kids in middle school. We go in our neighborhood, but visit my daughter's friends homes in other neighborhoods. It's all in good fun.
What you do is not what I think Kiovo was referring to. If her complaint is anything similar to mine it's over parents who drive mini-vans and pick-up trucks with kids loaded in the bed to my neighborhood. You would think those parents would be extra keen on all the kids walking around but they are literally the worst drivers on Halloween night as they enter and exit my neighborhood.

As for middle schoolers (read: teenagers) who don't have costumes - I don't even bother to open the door. If they want their backpack filled with free candy, they can go to any of the local churches giving out free candy.

Last edited by gsmj; 10-22-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
We give candy out for about the first hour when all the little neighborhood kids are out. After, we turn out the lights and are done by the time the older teens and truckloads of kids from other areas are out. Sorry but I'm just not buying candy for the masses - only my area which is about 1500 homes. I think that's enough.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
The "rich people" don't necessarily give out the best candy - - and it is usually a long walk to each house (and I still think trick or treating is about walking, not driving)!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
I agree - stay in your own neighborhood or area, or go with friends who are in their own area Part of trick or treating is about getting out and meeting/talking with friends/neighbors. Kids love it, parents enjoy it, it ruins it for everyone when busloads of people start piling out of cars to beg for candy...Parents are rushed off and neighbors dont get to chat and say hi.

If you do not have a place to trick or treat b/c your neighborhood is too dangerous then find friends/family etc and go with them...Its incredibly rude in my opinion to just drive out to some area where you have NO associations with the people there and just start trick or treating...at that point its not trick or treating, its begging.

I am also one of those people who has the gates open/lights on, until the big kids, or busloads start arriving....by 8:30 I shut it down anyway...I've got babies that goto sleep by then, so its never a big deal for me. To the clown calling it racist - Its not racist at all to say that people to need to trick or treat in their own areas..its common sense.

You want what those areas have, a community feel, friendliness, the feeling of safety and community that Halloween is really about...and your area is never going to improve and be what you want if everyone just leaves to go some other area. Its not about the money or the candy, its about a sense of community...if you can't understand that, you probably shouldn't have kids anyway.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Anybody in an apartment complex can organize a Halloween party for the kids who live there if they have no place for safe trick or treating.

Champion Forest Baptist Church used to have a big free carnival for anybody who wanted to come. We moved, so I don't know if they still do it.

My kid used to live on one of the streets where Light In The Heights was held. They had at least 500 kids every Halloween. It got expensive.

My dog goes nuts every time the bell rings, so we shut it down around 8.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I agree - stay in your own neighborhood or area, or go with friends who are in their own area Part of trick or treating is about getting out and meeting/talking with friends/neighbors. Kids love it, parents enjoy it, it ruins it for everyone when busloads of people start piling out of cars to beg for candy...Parents are rushed off and neighbors dont get to chat and say hi.

If you do not have a place to trick or treat b/c your neighborhood is too dangerous then find friends/family etc and go with them...Its incredibly rude in my opinion to just drive out to some area where you have NO associations with the people there and just start trick or treating...at that point its not trick or treating, its begging.

I am also one of those people who has the gates open/lights on, until the big kids, or busloads start arriving....by 8:30 I shut it down anyway...I've got babies that goto sleep by then, so its never a big deal for me. To the clown calling it racist - Its not racist at all to say that people to need to trick or treat in their own areas..its common sense.

You want what those areas have, a community feel, friendliness, the feeling of safety and community that Halloween is really about...and your area is never going to improve and be what you want if everyone just leaves to go some other area. Its not about the money or the candy, its about a sense of community...if you can't understand that, you probably shouldn't have kids anyway.
I'm done by 8:00-8:30. I don't even mind the middle schoolers who come. They are the ones who appreciated the glow in the dark fangs I gave out last year. Let them be kids as long as possible.

If someone wants to waste gas coming to my neighborhood, I can give their kid a nickel or dimes worth of candy. I guarantee that tootsie roll is not worth the gallon of gas to drive over. when I'm out of candy, I'm out. I don't stress about it. Sometimes I'll leave the bucket of candy outside if I have extra and people only take one or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: