Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:08 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,509,051 times

Advertisements

Houston officials say they will pursue those responsible for illegally removing six street trees in the early morning hours Wednesday along a property at Kirby Drive and North Boulevard, the latest in a string of city attempts to drive home the message that cutting down trees on public rights of way is no different than destroying any other public property.

City to seek damages after restaurant cuts down trees - Houston Chronicle

Some idiot at Wendy's decides that these trees that were planted decades ago and are valued at $50K each got in the way of the view of his "restaurants" drive through. The fact that these trees were removed early in the morning tells me they knew this was an illegal act . I think triple damages are in order that's 6 trees at 150K each, that should get the message through that trees on city right of way are public property! Hands off! What do you think about this? What would you propose as a remedy for this?

Last edited by Jack Lance; 10-31-2014 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,397,409 times
I can't read the article.

Why would they cut down trees that are not on their property? When did trees ever cause a business to lose money? This is ridiculous and they deserve to be fined.

I think they should raise the fine and start enforcing it. Nothing talks quite like losing money.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,811,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
What would you propose as a remedy for this?
Free colonoscopies to all their customers.

Here's another article on it:
City Reportedly Planning Legal Action Against Kirby Dr. Wendy’s Late-Night Tree Whackers | Swamplot

Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Free colonoscopies to all their customers.

Here's another article on it:
City Reportedly Planning Legal Action Against Kirby Dr. Wendy’s Late-Night Tree Whackers | Swamplot
"Late-Night Tree Whackers" LOL I love it !

Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 AM

12 posts, read 13,553 times
slap him with a nasty fine

Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I can't read the article.

Why would they cut down trees that are not on their property? When did trees ever cause a business to lose money? This is ridiculous and they deserve to be fined.

I think they should raise the fine and start enforcing it. Nothing talks quite like losing money.
This is from the article'

"Ali Dhanani of Austin-based Haza Foods LLC, which owns the Wendy's, said the trees were removed because their roots were tearing up the pavement on the property. The renovated restaurant will get new landscaping and new "indigenous" trees when it reopens in late November, he said.
"If we've made a mistake in this process, we apologize," he wrote in an email to the Houston Chronicle. "It was done in good faith, and our intent is to create a restaurant that our customers will enjoy and the neighborhood will be proud of."
Ward called Dhanani's response "absurd."
"It's absurd horticulturally, it's absurd from a knowledge standpoint in terms of calling it a mistake; that's obviously a euphemism for, 'I tried to do it in the dark to get away with it and I got caught,' " Ward said. "He's going to find out, I suspect, quite clearly how the city and how the general public, from whom he took those trees, how they value them."

City to seek damages after restaurant cuts down trees - Houston Chronicle

Old 10-31-2014, 11:28 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,013,206 times
Yes Ali, of course people would rather be able to see the drive thru and brick of a fast food place instead of huge trees. Inconsiderate to say the least. Fine for you and hopefully one that hurts.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,397,409 times
Now that I see the trees in the before pics on swamplot it makes me angry. Those were some really nice trees, and there was no reason to cut them down.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
The fine PLUS the cost of a reputable tree company to replace them with as large as possible that can be safely planted (I think once you get to a certain size, the tree won't be successfully planted).

Old 10-31-2014, 02:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 15,106,139 times
What I don't get is the mind set that says trees are less important than sidewalks. That whole story about sidewalks is BS.

I'd bet the rent money that had a call been made, the problem with the sidewalk explained, the city and/or the neighborhood and customers would have gladly kicked in to replace the sidewalks. Trees for Houston certainly would have.

They could have root pruned, or put down a root barrier. This neighborhood we are in planted 2 or 3 live oaks on each tiny lot. At about age 25, there will be sidewalk, driveway and foundation stories from every homeowner. We are putting down root barriers. They could have,too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston