Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 01:28 PM

77 posts, read 114,290 times

Advertisements

From my 1st post on this topic: New info below. Thanks.
Working off Eldridge/ Enclave.The wife doesn't drive to work so no spouse commute concerns. Would love to not have to get on 10 to get to work. Middle age with a family and a dog, the whole package. Public school rating only an issue for resale value.
Was thinking of looking South of I10, East of 6, West of Beltway 8, North of Westhimier. It makes a block. Looks like in our price range we would also be mostly south of briar forest drive. My family is used to a professional, quiet and mostly white neighborhood.

Our budget is wide. We are used to more house for our money than what that area offers and spoiled to disposable income to play with. From 160 to 270 would be comfortable. 240 and under better.

NEW:
I have seen homes in our price range for sell on HAR currently in the following areas. I would like some information on these neighborhoods please.
Briar Village/April Village/Ashford Hollow/Shadow Briar/ Eldridge Park (North of ten)

Is the area East of S Kirkwood rd below Briar forest Dr. but West of Wilcrest good?
I am having trouble with defining the better areas of the EC in our price range.
I read that between Dairy Ashford and S. Kirkwood / south of Briar forest DR is good? Better than between Eldridge and Dairy Ashford?

I have gotten some honest feedback so far and I really appreciate that. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 06:44 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,834 times
You're looking for really specific advice that you'll only get from someone who lives there. I'm not sure if we have that someone on here BUT if it helps you're in exactly the same situation we were in a few years ago.

We had narrowed down our choices to very specific neighborhoods, but how to choose? Buying a house is a big financial commitment, you don't want to make the wrong choice. And, while this forum is very helpful, only you can really know exactly what you are comfortable with.

SO...

Solution - rent in your target neighborhood for a year, you will also get to know the surrounding neighborhoods, the pros and cons, and the type of people that live there. This rental period is not wasted money!! When it came to buying a house, the best decision we ever made was NOT buying a house - until we were sure. Now that we have bought, we can't see living in any other neighborhood, well, except Yorkshire, if EA would have us.

Your budget is tight for these neighborhoods but doable. If it were me, I'd rent in the area bounded by Briar Forest, Westheimer, Kirkwood and Diary Ashford. Obviously north of Briar Forest is better but I'd test drive south because you may like it as much or better and thus not worth paying extra to live north. Also, you still have direct TH park access through the spillway so if your workplace has showers you can easily bike or jog to work.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:52 PM

150 posts, read 218,225 times
I would also suggest Walnut Bend. Great people.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:14 PM

389 posts, read 596,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifromhere View Post
From my 1st post on this topic: New info below. Thanks.
Working off Eldridge/ Enclave.The wife doesn't drive to work so no spouse commute concerns. Would love to not have to get on 10 to get to work. Middle age with a family and a dog, the whole package. Public school rating only an issue for resale value.
Was thinking of looking South of I10, East of 6, West of Beltway 8, North of Westhimier. It makes a block. Looks like in our price range we would also be mostly south of briar forest drive. My family is used to a professional, quiet and mostly white neighborhood.

Our budget is wide. We are used to more house for our money than what that area offers and spoiled to disposable income to play with. From 160 to 270 would be comfortable. 240 and under better.

NEW:
I have seen homes in our price range for sell on HAR currently in the following areas. I would like some information on these neighborhoods please.
Briar Village/April Village/Ashford Hollow/Shadow Briar/ Eldridge Park (North of ten)

Is the area East of S Kirkwood rd below Briar forest Dr. but West of Wilcrest good?
I am having trouble with defining the better areas of the EC in our price range.
I read that between Dairy Ashford and S. Kirkwood / south of Briar forest DR is good? Better than between Eldridge and Dairy Ashford?

I have gotten some honest feedback so far and I really appreciate that. Thank you!
I grew up in Shadowbriar. It was a great place to grow up, but the surrounding areas started to deteriorate. We had two robberies on our street, and an attempted one at our house, all within several months of each other. I also knew someone else that got robbed that year, in a different section of Shadowbriar. Driving through there now, it looks very well maintained, and crime rates might be down from what they were in 2010. My general rule of thumb is the further north and further west are generally better within the area you described (bounded by BW8, SH6, I-10, and Westheimer). So I would consider Eldridge to be more desirable than Kirkwood.

That being said, for your price range, I would try to get into a section of Shadowbriar not too close to Ella Lee. Ashford Hollow is not too bad either. I would not live in April Village or neighboring Village West. Hayes Rd can be kind of sketchy.

As for Eldridge Park, I've only driven through that area and it looked pretty nice. Like a cheaper alternative to Lakes on Eldridge or Twin Lakes. But the commute up Eldridge Pkwy through the Addicks Reservoir might be long. I've seen Eldridge get backed up around W Little York. Plus that area does not have a large selection of retail or dining, compared to areas south of I-10.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 AM

71 posts, read 139,724 times
Living in the area, there is not much difference/premium north of Briar Forest versus south. The key is just being interior. Living a block or two from Westheimer opens you up to traffic and potentially more crime, but same goes if near Briar Forest, Kirkwood, DA, Wilcrest, Hayes. Main streets tend to have older apartments and easier access for crimes of opportunity. Inside the neighborhoods, its pretty safe and similar regardless. Occasionally more burglaries in one area or another, but pct 5 constable patrol is very visible and responsive, and a good deterrant, and neighborhood watches help and the sprees are usually short. The premium for park access north of BF is odd, because as was said above, there is easy path access along the Robin Loop trail (culvert east of DA). Unless you want the bayou in your backyard ( admittedly nice big lots and sometimes upscale houses...though then you have all sorts of people passing through your yard) the park is close, schools and houses the same.

Prior to living in Ashford Forest, I was across Eldridge from Eldridge Park. Nice neighborhood, not much happening around there, but easy access to 6, 10, 8 and 290. The commute to the Energy corridor can be longer than expected, since Eldridge parkway is the only straight shot and backups at Clay are common as Copperfield folks try to avoid 6. But by Houston standards, easy commute!

Lots to consider, but all the neighborhoods you mention are established, holding value or appreciating, and for now, still affordable. I agree with the suggestion to rent and see if the area is ideal for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: