Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times

Advertisements

For 500-700, you can get a real nice 1 br in Sugarland, the same will get you a so-so or less apartment inner loop (if you look real hard).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 03:44 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujuwa514 View Post
After reading through some of your "adventures" I found a post where you mentioned that for the 400-600$ range, you're pretty much going to get crap lodging, so what would a "reasonable" price range for renting a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom or even a studio apartment in a so called "nice area" of houston?

Inside 610, I'd say about $1 per square foot minimum is a good guideline. That's how much I was paying in TMC. Maybe I had bad luck there. Who knows?

Bellaire, West U, Galleria, Greenway, River Oaks areas will be about $1000 minimum for a 1 bdrm.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:54 PM

241 posts, read 1,178,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
For 500-700, you can get a real nice 1 br in Sugarland, the same will get you a so-so or less apartment inner loop (if you look real hard).
It's true, you can get an awesome apartment for 700 bucks/month.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:13 PM

197 posts, read 261,716 times
It's funny though...my boyfriend lives in 77006 (montrose) for $550/month! I'm assuming the rent is controlled, because he has lived here for a while. But yeah I would say if you want to live in a nice area in the loop you're going to have to pay $1000 for what you want, but if you look hard (ie. duplexes, etc.) and have/get some connections you could find some for a bit less.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
When I left Montrose 2 years ago, I was paying 650/mo for a nice 1 br in a very small complex. It has gone up since then from what I heard, but then I was a steady tenant who had lived there for 16 years and started at 275/mo. If you really hunt around all the duplexes, conversions, and small complexes that are in hidey holes around the area, you can sometimes find a hidden gem for a good price. The larger complexes tend to be more expensive but then they usually have frills like pools, laundries, etc. My small complex had 2 small washers and dryers and we considered ourselves fortunate.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
You can check with GreatLandlords.com for the boutique rentals in the Inner Loop -- duplexes, fourplexes, garage apartments, and small complexes.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 PM

11 posts, read 22,534 times
Default Galleria-area

This board was invaluable help when I was looking to move from the north, aka The Woodlands, down to Houston. Shout out to Jfre81.

I decided to live in the Galleria area and thought it'd be expensive. The newer apartments and condos do go for more than $1/sf and offer a lot of amenities, but there are plenty of older yet solid apts/condos that are quite affordable. Send me a note if you want some recommendations.

The proximity to everything is terrific, Galleria is within 15 minutes of most major attractions, traffic notwithstanding.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:12 PM

10 posts, read 25,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandpark View Post
This board was invaluable help when I was looking to move from the north, aka The Woodlands, down to Houston. Shout out to Jfre81.

I decided to live in the Galleria area and thought it'd be expensive. The newer apartments and condos do go for more than $1/sf and offer a lot of amenities, but there are plenty of older yet solid apts/condos that are quite affordable. Send me a note if you want some recommendations.

The proximity to everything is terrific, Galleria is within 15 minutes of most major attractions, traffic notwithstanding.
Thanks for the tip! Galleria's seeming more and more intriguing! I'll definitely check it out when I come down to scope out the situation in a week!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 PM

10 posts, read 25,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You can check with GreatLandlords.com for the boutique rentals in the Inner Loop -- duplexes, fourplexes, garage apartments, and small complexes.
I just tried out the site.. unfortunately only available properties are over 800$ in rent.. SIGH!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston