Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
To believe that prostitution is a victimless crime, you have to ignore the statistics.

Is Prostitution a Victimless Crime?
I completely agree about the human trafficking element, so again, go after those businesses. Or just legalize it so some of the shadiness of it all goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 03:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Hey, we're getting sidetracked. Let's keep this about my new found fame. Ok?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Hey, we're getting sidetracked. Let's keep this about my new found fame. Ok?
Oh, ok Pedro so what's next a reality show ?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:48 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampac66 View Post
I have a female family member who does this undercover prostitution stuff... I always tell her how her job is a ridiculous waste of time and tax payer money but she's confident she's saving the world somehow... one desperate, unattractive man at a time.
ROTFLMAO!!! Hahaha!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:43 PM

60 posts, read 71,254 times
Pedro, you're way hotter than I imagined!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Nana I see the point you are trying to make but you have to understand that sexual abuse and incest are separate issues as is human trafficking from prostitution regardless of how much of a correlation there may be.
It is not a separate issue. These women would not be prostitutes if they had not been abused already. There may be a few for whom this is truly a choice, but not many.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
It is not a separate issue. These women would not be prostitutes if they had not been abused already. There may be a few for whom this is truly a choice, but not many.
Obviously abuse and incest should be dealt with and punished, and if it is, your data would suggest there would be fewer prostitutes. But your suggestion that they are not capable of making decisions for themselves as adults because of thier experiences as children is problematic. Are you saying they are now incompetent to make their own decisions to enter into legal contracts or make a choice of who to marry ? Are all criminals incompetent if they had similar childhoods..

I don't know what happened to Pedro to make him turn to this kind of life, but I hope he works it out as well....

Last edited by Jack Lance; 03-05-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Obviously abuse and incest should be dealt with and punished, and if it is, your data would suggest there would be fewer prostitutes. But your suggestion that they are not capable of making decisions for themselves as adults because of thier experiences as children is problematic. Are you saying they are now incompetent to make their own decisions to enter into legal contracts or make a choice of who to marry ? Are all criminals incompetent if they had similar childhoods..
Generally teens who have been abused as children make poor decisions. Many of these women became prostitutes as teens and have a very hard time getting out. It is a last ditch method of economic survival.

Prostitution Is Sexual Violence | Psychiatric Times

Quote:
Prostitution has much in common with other kinds of violence against women. What incest is to the family, prostitution is to the community. Prostitution is widely socially tolerated and its consumers (commercial sex customers who are called johns or tricks by women in prostitution) are socially invisible.
Quote:
Although clinicians are beginning to recognize the overwhelming physical violence in prostitution, the internal ravages of prostitution have not been well understood. Prostitution and trafficking are experiences of being hunted down, dominated, sexually harassed and assaulted. There is a lack of awareness among clinicians regarding the systematic methods of brainwashing, indoctrination and physical control that are used against women in prostitution. There has been far more clinical attention paid to sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) among those prostituted than to their depressions, lethal suicidality, mood disorders, anxiety disorders (including posttraumatic stress disorder) dissociative disorders and chemical dependence.
We accept that soldiers can have depression and PTSD and chemical dependence, but for some reason we are reluctant to actually see this in women who are prostitutes.

I would argue that many criminals are incompetent to make choices, but that does not excuse their actions because they harm other people. Prostitutes, in general, harm no one but themselves.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Generally teens who have been abused as children make poor decisions. Many of these women became prostitutes as teens and have a very hard time getting out. It is a last ditch method of economic survival.

Prostitution Is Sexual Violence | Psychiatric Times

We accept that soldiers can have depression and PTSD and chemical dependence, but for some reason we are reluctant to actually see this in women who are prostitutes.

I would argue that many criminals are incompetent to make choices, but that does not excuse their actions because they harm other people. Prostitutes, in general, harm no one but themselves.
I know we all agree that under aged and or forced prostitution should be dealt with severely ! I'm going to leave it at that..

Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guess would be that the exception is put in there for the benefit of homeowners.

Homeowners won't have the resources to verify immigration status and if one dared not hire someone "because I had no way to verify immigration status and was afraid of breaking the law", who knows what kind of discrimination lawsuit they could face.
BS, that's what e-verify is for.
E-Verify | USCIS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston