Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 PM

49 posts, read 80,110 times

Advertisements

Guys,

I have always turned to this forum through our house building process, and I must say I have always received some great responses.

I need your advise in this situation as what can I do, and should I do. I am beyond frustration at this point.

Out of the several issues that I caught before closing, is broken/ chipped Granite. We spent $9k in getting a Granite upgrade with our builder. Few days ago I realized as if something was dropped in the middle of island and stone shattered. Then I checked the entire island only to find 17 more chips at the edge of the stone, along with the one on top surface.

When I brought this up, builder said they would get it fixed before closing. They made the first attempt and chips didn't get fixed. This delayed the closing out by 1 week. They made a second attempt, and further filled the granite with UGLY glue which was completely visible. Half of the chips still not fixed. The damage on the top was resurfaced but I could still see the damage within the stone.

When I brought this up again. My closing date was moved out by 1 more week, and I was told that they would call restoration crew again to fix it. When I pushed back that I need new granite. I was told that "this is how we do it" and we are not going to replace anything. Today when I called, they told me that it is fixed and it will be repainted tomorrow.

My question is that why would I have to settle on a granite which has been fixed several times and being repainted over. When I paid a hefty amount of $9000 for a piece of stone, why should I settle on a refurbished one? Am I asking for something unusual if I want them to replace it?

More importantly, what are my options if I want them to either replace the Granite or credit Granite money back to me. So far they have said "NO" to both options.

Thanks again for all your support!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,035,245 times
Typically when you build with a standard builder, you waive your rights to legal action somewhere in that stack of paperwork. Forgot what it's called.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM

I am just stuck in a very bad place. After spending $450k with my lifetime savings, I am surprised how am I being treated and the response I have been getting from them.

There has to be some action that I should be able to take to voice my concern and get these issues resolved.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:26 PM

672 posts, read 849,971 times
Who's the builder/community?

Old 03-17-2015, 07:30 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,026,918 times
Taylor Morrison based on post history.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 PM

Yes it is Taylor Morrison.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,970,400 times
Refuse to close until its replaced.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 PM

If I do that, they threaten me saying that they will cancel the contract, and sell the house to someone else.

First time I am building the house. Not sure how easy it would be for them to cancel the contract.

Tough situation. Have spent months working with these guys on this house. So much finances, time and family planning done around this house.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 PM

308 posts, read 500,382 times
Have you contacted upper management? Do you have realtor? Have them help you also.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,140,944 times
Really? Is that how they're going to treat you? I doubt it will get any better post closing when they have all your money. I'd walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston