Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 14,847 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Houston this summer for work. We've done suburban living, and we really want to live closer to the action. My husband and I drove around and love the Heights, University, etc. My job is north of I-10, off Sam Houston Pkwy 8. I am trying to figure out if there are homes in the $350,000 range that filter into good public schools (grades 4th, 5th and preschool for this fall) and are inside or near the inner loops. I don't think we can afford private school, and my kids are pretty academic, so I think even if it isn't a 10/10 school, they will do well. Honestly, just driving around and looking up HAR was overwhelming (and had no idea about schools).

Any recommendations on good schools & places to live inside the loops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraisland View Post
I am relocating to Houston this summer for work. We've done suburban living, and we really want to live closer to the action. My husband and I drove around and love the Heights, University, etc. My job is north of I-10, off Sam Houston Pkwy 8. I am trying to figure out if there are homes in the $350,000 range that filter into good public schools (grades 4th, 5th and preschool for this fall) and are inside or near the inner loops. I don't think we can afford private school, and my kids are pretty academic, so I think even if it isn't a 10/10 school, they will do well. Honestly, just driving around and looking up HAR was overwhelming (and had no idea about schools).

Any recommendations on good schools & places to live inside the loops?
I doubt inner loop for that price but perhaps the western most areas of Meyerland may be doable for 350k. The elementary and High School its assigned to are exceptional the Middle School is not...

Real Estate - 38 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Old 03-20-2015, 10:27 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Westbury and Willowbend 77035 zip code fit you your budget nice these are 2 nice areas

Old 03-21-2015, 05:47 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I doubt inner loop for that price but perhaps the western most areas of Meyerland may be doable for 350k. The elementary and High School its assigned to are exceptional the Middle School is not...

Real Estate - 38 Homes For Sale | Zillow
Johnston Middle School actually has a very good reputation.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:11 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Johnston Middle School actually has a very good reputation.
Some of that area is assigned to Fondren. It is Fondren that I was alluding to...

Old 03-21-2015, 09:18 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Do you mean inner loop or inner loops? If inner loop, a nice home for $350k is hard to find, decent schools or no. Inside the beltway you still have options for good neighborhoods with good schools at that price as long as you don't insist on having the most homogeneous schools. On the northwest side north of 290 there are very nice neighborhoods inside the beltway zoned to Gleason (A), Cook (A-) and Jersey Village HS (B+). We live here and find the location convenient to multiple areas in Houston, including downtown where DH works.

https://k12.niche.com

2014 Greater Houston School Rankings | CHILDREN AT RISK

Old 03-21-2015, 10:24 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
You can go a bit west of Meyerland and get into neighborhoods zoned to Parker and Johnston. The high school is terrible though, Westbury HS. So you either need to magnet into a highschool, move or go private.

Westbury, Marilyn estates, Barkley Square, Maplewood South. Some parts of Maplewood west of Hillcroft are nice, but the schools are not good. Stay west of Hillcroft.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 AM

232 posts, read 463,313 times
Listen to fnh; it's good advice and the Jersey Village area has a lot of families and is convenient to the loop. Even a townhouse in the loop is hard to find for that price to accommodate a family of five (presumably you'd want a yard for your kids). If you're willing to do a renovation project then it might be possible but it would take a lot of work and time. Perhaps renting would be your best bet while figuring out which area is best for you and your family within your budget.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:39 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
You can go a bit west of Meyerland and get into neighborhoods zoned to Parker and Johnston. The high school is terrible though, Westbury HS. So you either need to magnet into a highschool, move or go private.

Westbury, Marilyn estates, Barkley Square, Maplewood South. Some parts of Maplewood west of Hillcroft are nice, but the schools are not good. Stay west of Hillcroft.
You mean stay east of Hillcroft and north of the bayou willow water hole that is like 2 blks north of Anderson elementary

Old 03-21-2015, 12:08 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
With such a crazy huge budget there are tons of places. I would go Second Ward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston