Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 PM

682 posts, read 1,941,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
You have your head in the sand. I get it. You bought a kb home and you're happy with it. Fine. But we have bad reviews from many people including realtors who are in the business that says they're not good.

And yes, there are bad reviews on all builders but I sure if you asked 100 people to compare kb homes to any builder, they would be at the bottom of the list for the majority.
Really? I have my head in the sand because I'm happy with something you have a bad opinion of? I did my research. I knew of the bad reviews. But I also talked to people I knew that had a KB Home and even people I knew that bought one in a different subdivision but built by the same construction supervisor as mine would be built.

Are there better quality homes? Of course. Do "better" home builders mean a better house than a KB, not necessarily. You can get a construction supervisor who is very quality oriented or one that just wants to get homes built no matter how it is done with any company.

Like I stated before, If I went by online reviews on everything I bought, I probably wouldn't own anything. The best reviews are from people with personal experience, not just people who jump on the "this company sucks because I heard this person say this" bandwagon without ever really knowing what problems there are...or if they are true problems or someone just upset at something that they think should have been done.

Since Kia was brought up earlier...a few months back someone was spamming Kia's facebook page with posts such as "Don't buy a Kia, customer services sucks", "Don't buy a Kia, they don't care about you once you've bought it and refuse to fix problems." Eventually they posted what the real problem they were upset about was...they bought a 2015 Kia Soul, assuming it had a CD player because their 2012 did and didn't realize it didn't have one till nearly 3 months later and Kia wouldn't give them one and the dealer wouldn't let them return the car without them losing money on it (Kia dropped CD players from a few models in 2015). So is that really a valid complaint that Kia did something wrong? No. But they are going around telling everyone how horrible Kia is because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 09:35 AM

614 posts, read 1,237,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
Really? I have my head in the sand because I'm happy with something you have a bad opinion of? I did my research. I knew of the bad reviews. But I also talked to people I knew that had a KB Home and even people I knew that bought one in a different subdivision but built by the same construction supervisor as mine would be built.

Are there better quality homes? Of course. Do "better" home builders mean a better house than a KB, not necessarily. You can get a construction supervisor who is very quality oriented or one that just wants to get homes built no matter how it is done with any company.

Like I stated before, If I went by online reviews on everything I bought, I probably wouldn't own anything. The best reviews are from people with personal experience, not just people who jump on the "this company sucks because I heard this person say this" bandwagon without ever really knowing what problems there are...or if they are true problems or someone just upset at something that they think should have been done.

Since Kia was brought up earlier...a few months back someone was spamming Kia's facebook page with posts such as "Don't buy a Kia, customer services sucks", "Don't buy a Kia, they don't care about you once you've bought it and refuse to fix problems." Eventually they posted what the real problem they were upset about was...they bought a 2015 Kia Soul, assuming it had a CD player because their 2012 did and didn't realize it didn't have one till nearly 3 months later and Kia wouldn't give them one and the dealer wouldn't let them return the car without them losing money on it (Kia dropped CD players from a few models in 2015). So is that really a valid complaint that Kia did something wrong? No. But they are going around telling everyone how horrible Kia is because of it.

Let me ask you a question. Since you said that every builder has bad reviews online which I agree with. Then why is it that you consistently here bad stuff about kb homes but not any other when homes are talked about. As evident in this thread, yours is the only positive. I'm getting to think you work for them.

And FYI, I've never owned a kb home but with everything I've heard, read, and whatnot, I would never purchase one. And they're the only one I feel about that.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:24 PM

682 posts, read 1,941,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Let me ask you a question. Since you said that every builder has bad reviews online which I agree with. Then why is it that you consistently here bad stuff about kb homes but not any other when homes are talked about. As evident in this thread, yours is the only positive. I'm getting to think you work for them.

And FYI, I've never owned a kb home but with everything I've heard, read, and whatnot, I would never purchase one. And they're the only one I feel about that.
Actually, there was another positive post about them on the first page. As far as why you find so many negative posts? Besides being one of the largest home builders which means more homes built with the possibility for more complaints, you posted a perfect example of why you see so many bad things. You posted you've never owned one, but yet you've been negative towards them in this thread and said you'd never buy one. When I was do my research before buying one over 5 years ago, I found that nearly 3/4 of the online "reviews" or people telling me "don't buy one" never had any personal experience with one and were just repeating what they heard else where. Or their last experience with one was so long ago that it is really no longer relevant.

I don't know about now since the studies require a subscription, but in the 2010 national new home builder quality study from JD Power, KB ranked above the national average. Same with customer satisfaction. Companies change over time and I believe KB is one of those companies that has changed for the better. Yes, they still build as cheap as they can, but that doesn't automatically mean bad quality. And you can easily get a $300k KB Home if you add options to it. The homes in my subdivision started at $170k and ranged up to $260k as a starting price. Part of this is due to MPC restrictions that require certain features on the home that KB normally has as options.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:37 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,444 times
Man you are a KB pumper. Go KB!!! You can do it!! You can revamp your image! Now go get your buddies the Yugo, Pinto, "New Coke," Kodak, Crystal Pepsi, Atari, Circuit City and lets make this a party.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:44 AM

203 posts, read 337,282 times
Bottom line, do not buy a KB home.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:44 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
I am bumping up this old thread because I want to know about Katy High school and Anserra community. I understand that lot of people have nothing positive to say about KB homes but how come these homes are in $300k range when it is a KB home? I thought they were budget builders. So if any one who is familiar with this area can chime in it would be great. I need to know if Katy high school is similar to Katy schools north of I-10? I know its not like Tomkins or Seven Lakes but how does it compare? Also, is there a way to enter the community from the back or 1463 or I-10 and making U turn is only option if you are heading from Houston?

Old 07-15-2017, 06:32 PM

388 posts, read 686,600 times
I'm opening this thread up again because we are curious too. Pulte homes are being right next to this neighborhood. Every home builder says they would not build with other builders if they were junk - they try to bid in areas of same value. So if KB is junk then why did Pulte agree to sell right next to them (and share an entrance) and even more so, WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BUYING THEIR HOMES IF THEY ARE JUNK? They didn't shut down. They are still going strong. New neighborhood - only KB, just opened up off 59/99.

We can probably afford 250-280, but you know what? We don't want to. All these people love to suggest just bumping your budget up "a few thousand" to get into what they deem a better area, yet, they aren't paying my mortgage, bills or saving for my retirement. I don't want a higher priced home - I want modest. I enjoy living below our means, if it means we have a retirement, I can afford for my kids, we take vacations, etc.

I don't want to live in CR or Seven Lakes. Firethorne IS pretty but the traffic is horrid out there and the location doesn't work for us. We also aren't stuck on keeping up with the Jones'. We are for keeping ourselves in check.

Look at the surrounding neighborhoods - Willow Creek Farms, Young Ranch, Etc. This isn't going to be a junk area.
So far the homes (having been built by KB) look nice.

I can't imagine this neighborhood will be the ghetto in 5 years.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:53 PM

170 posts, read 194,066 times
I knew a guy who bought a new KB home and the electrical wiring caught fire.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:12 AM

388 posts, read 686,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana K View Post
I knew a guy who bought a new KB home and the electrical wiring caught fire.
I'm looking for reviews from current KB homeowners.
For all you know, he could have done something stupid and blamed the builder because, really...how would you ever know?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 AM

170 posts, read 194,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
I'm looking for reviews from current KB homeowners.
For all you know, he could have done something stupid and blamed the builder because, really...how would you ever know?
The electrical issues were just one of a laundry list of problems with his new KB home - just the most startling one. But let's just say that he did do something stupid and KB was not at fault. Let's say all of the complaints against KB are unfounded. You must consider the fact that if you purchase one of their homes, your investment in a KB home will suffer due to their bad reputation. A close relative just purchased a home in Katy this year. They looked at many homes, new and used. When the agent wanted to take them to look at new KB homes in Katy, they rejected the idea, based on what they had heard. Why would you take that chance? What happens when you decide to sell and you are met with the same negativity from potential buyers? I would steer clear. Go with a quality builder like Perry or Weekly and protect your investment. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston