Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:00 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,797,628 times

Advertisements

I don't have kindergarten kids, but if you do and plan or already live in Riverstone this may be important information for you.

Hello Neighbors

Hope you all had good spring break. I just want to bring this to many of our resident's attention as we are getting close to Kindergarten admission. I am sure many of you parents with younger ones going first time to school might have come across this news already.

ISSUE: The issue is all the Kindergarten kids from the area zoned to new ES-47 school will need to start at Colony Bend Elementary school (CBE) instead of our currently zoned Commonwealth Elementary school (CWE)until the new school opens.

Myself and many other parents are in touch with FBISD Superintendent Dr.Dupre and other board members and they keep giving the same answer that CWE is overflowing and not have enough space for the kids. We kept wondering that where are they getting the numbers when the registration is not yet open. How come it will overflow when the current kids will move to next grade and they will have all the opening for the new kids unless they limit the numbers. These are some unanswered questions which we want to get answer from them.

BIGGER ISSUE: Also another bigger issue from this admission process is the kids with siblings. Kids are not allowed to join their siblings in their school. For example, my elder son goes to CWE and we thought like any other parent that our younger would be allowed to join in CWE. But FBISD is saying the same exact answer that they need to be registered in the CBE as well. How can a Parent send two kids from different bus stop? How can both working parents pick up kids from different schools? They are really illogical and going to create big hassle for our parents. They are giving us option to transfer elder one to CBE if you Parents want to do it.

But there is no acceptable solution to parents at this moment. We were told that we will get communication from school by April 6th about the process. Also they told us that there will be survey sent to Parents about the siblings schools and may be rare possibility at later point allowing them to go together.

Anyway, currently few concerned parents are trying to put together team to decide what we can to push the FBISD to do some logical transition which will make our live smoother not horrible. If you are an affected parent, please email us and let us know. We like to get the count from our side and see whether we can take this opposition to different level.

Thank you
Vijaianand
Your neighbor and Riverstone Residents Volunteer Group
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 AM

118 posts, read 207,641 times
Is it just me or does this letter overly dramatic? Your kindergarteners will go to Colony Bend for a year, not a refugee camp in ISIS-controlled Syria.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 PM

109 posts, read 158,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
Is it just me or does this letter overly dramatic? Your kindergarteners will go to Colony Bend for a year, not a refugee camp in ISIS-controlled Syria.
Lol.

Easy solution, send both your kids to colony bend. Geez.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:06 PM

483 posts, read 656,244 times
I see a problem with older siblings already having a friend group, doing events at school etc and then suddenly with no warning their parents have to come to them and tell them, hey you have to change schools. It might be easier on some then others but I doubt any older child would enjoy that. Where as the younger sibling has no connection with a school either way.

I don't have kids yet, but I wouldn't feel right about taking my older child out of an established school routine but can't see a feasible way to get both kids to two different schools.

I hope they get it all worked out for ya'll.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,666,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
I see a problem with older siblings already having a friend group, doing events at school etc and then suddenly with no warning their parents have to come to them and tell them, hey you have to change schools. It might be easier on some then others but I doubt any older child would enjoy that. Where as the younger sibling has no connection with a school either way.

I don't have kids yet, but I wouldn't feel right about taking my older child out of an established school routine but can't see a feasible way to get both kids to two different schools.

I agree. They should make an exception for siblings. Sometimes I don't think FBISD thinks things through.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:31 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,022,702 times
The school is WAY over capacity. At some point you have to stop making exceptions too.

Kids are way more resilient to change than parents make them out to be. Having to switch to Colony Bend for a year isn't going to negatively a kid for any sort of lingering period.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 AM

203 posts, read 337,796 times
Oh no....the end of the world!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,095,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post

I had to switch schools after my older brother finished 8th grade from the catholic school we went to. It was terribly traumatic getting ripped away from my 6th grade friends/colleagues... Just kidding, I barely remember any of their names. The kids will live.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:53 AM

804 posts, read 1,077,401 times
god forbid someone might have to make changes in their life.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:13 PM

155 posts, read 268,024 times
Looks like CWE is taking K kids who have siblings already going there.

Last edited by houstonsuburbs; 04-20-2015 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston