Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Woulod you prefer a sales tax cut or a property tax reduction ?
Cut the sales taxes. ! 3 6.98%
Cut property taxes ! 34 79.07%
Do not cut any taxes ! 6 13.95%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times

Advertisements

According to a Houston Chronicle article in todays paper there is a debate brewing in the State Legislature concerning the type of tax cuts the state legislature wants to adopt. One is a sales tax cut that would save each Texan an estimated $43 dollars a year or about $172 a year for a family of 4. The other strategy would reduce property taxes by an average of $200 dollars a homeowner : Question which type of tax cut would you prefer, a cut in our sales tax rates or property tax rates ? This is of course assuming it will be one or the other....

PressReader - Connecting People Through News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Where is the option for a different tax collection mechanism?

I still want to pay school taxes, county taxes, etc, but I don't want it done via a property tax.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I still want to pay school taxes, county taxes, etc, but I don't want it done via a property tax.
Sorry Pedro but that doesn't seem to be on the State Legislatures agenda, but these tax cuts are...

Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM

331 posts, read 487,547 times
Of the two, a cut in sales tax might have the potential to provide tax relief to those who need it most. But I wonder what expenditures would be cut to offset the loss of revenue. And if this would take any decision making authority from the local jurisdictions on these matters. Without knowing the latter, I don't know that I'd support any action.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Sorry Pedro but that doesn't seem to be on the State Legislatures agenda, but these tax cuts are...
In that case, a property tax cut.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:57 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

If it makes sense .... it's not gonna happen

Old 04-29-2015, 12:13 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
Of the two, a cut in sales tax might have the potential to provide tax relief to those who need it most. But I wonder what expenditures would be cut to offset the loss of revenue. And if this would take any decision making authority from the local jurisdictions on these matters. Without knowing the latter, I don't know that I'd support any action.

A cut in sales tax benefits the poorest among us more yes, that is true....but it also benefits those who are here illegally, in much the same manner as it benefits those here legally. In addition to that it reduces revenue from tourism and other areas which are unnecessary places to make cuts.

Reducing property taxes has the same effect of reducing sales tax (saves a household money) but it does not offer cuts to those who break the law or may just be visiting...

Renters will benefit from a property tax cut through a lower increase in their rent (yes its still going up b/c they cut $200 off a $2000 increase) but its still the same dollar amount of savings.

Personally I'd love to see property taxes go away completely as well...It is a very poor way of funding our schools and infrastructure....With the increases we have been seeing, our taxes will be doubling every 7 years, and most households can not sustain that kind of increase.

By putting the burden more on consumption, than on housing, those who buy more things or more expensive things will pay more - and those who buy less, will pay less....Larger families will thus have more tax obligations to schools than smaller families, and that is fair (and I come from a large family)

The idea that we can prop up all the failing low income school districts on the backs of the wealthy districts is not a good long term solution. Eventually the wealthy wont be able to support the poor, and then the system collapses.

A more equitable solution is one where everyone pays something....There is no free ride.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:02 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,860 times
You do realize a state needs a certain amount of tax revenue to function properly, right? The reason our property taxes are so high is directly because of the lack of state income tax. If you take the property tax money away, they'd simply have to pull it out in other ways. I personally like putting in property tax over sales or income taxes, considering that it takes a certain level of socioeconomic success to actually purchase a home.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:27 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
I prefer taxes on consumption, which should be woven into our property tax rates as well.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
You do realize a state needs a certain amount of tax revenue to function properly, right? The reason our property taxes are so high is directly because of the lack of state income tax. If you take the property tax money away, they'd simply have to pull it out in other ways. I personally like putting in property tax over sales or income taxes, considering that it takes a certain level of socioeconomic success to actually purchase a home.
And by having that property tax you raise the level of socioeconomic success in order to own a home.

Studies show that children with greater housing stability perform better than their peers in school.

http://fcd-us.org/sites/default/file...0Stability.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston