Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 11:45 AM

40 posts, read 58,071 times

Advertisements

I am currently hunting for an apartment complex and i've been using various sources such as apartmentratings and Google reviews as a guide.

I'm finding that there alot of complex's that seem to be review poorly. alot of negative reviews on various complex's stating issue with safety, ie robberies and gun fire. many car breakins. and general crime.
now, i've been looking up in North Houston, TX ( areas such as Spring, Humble and Jersey village ), and i dont think that this areas are so called "high crime" areas.

now what i wanted to know are if these reviews are biased in any way, do locals tend to use these sources as an accurate gauge of the quality of life at these apartment complex's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 03:14 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,261 times
people don't generally get on apartment review sites to post positive things. Take them with a grain of salt.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:40 PM

19 posts, read 24,022 times
I noticed similar but I there are positive reviews as well, so they are out there. We are moving from WI and started my lease on May 2nd. I looked at 20 different places before settling on the 20th place! Was a long hunt. I primarily drove around and used the apartment.com app as I went. I thought it was a pretty useful tool for tracking what we liked and didn't like. What I found, was that anywhere along 1960 was not where we wanted to be. Lots of places looked good on paper but once I drove around and saw the traffic and area I'm sure some of the negative reviews I saw had valid references.

I looked at Jersey Village, near West Road, seems to be a high traffic area so I passed. Some areas in there looked really nice but the apartments were older and you could tell.

On of the apartment people told me to stay away from apartments that were on/near the bus lines. Seemed to be decent advice. Of course your budget may dictate otherwise.

Some nice apartments in Spring especially close to the new Exxon Campus, but $$$$.

We ended up closer to Tomball off 249/Northpointe. Easy commute to work for me and easy spring board into Cypress/Spring/Woodlands when we start home shopping later this year.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:56 PM

483 posts, read 654,938 times
I have, and have had friends, who lived in plenty of apartments with really bad reviews. None up north though, mostly around the medical center/braeswood.

I think most are people who have a chip on their shoulder; Late rent but didn't want to pay the fines, didn't take care of their apartment etc..
Just make sure to be pleasant to office staff and always take time to say hi to the grounds/maintenance guys. And pay your rent on time

I know that some of the apartments are probably truly bad, but make that decision in person, not based on online reviews.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 PM

219 posts, read 299,602 times
Humble is pure high crime, Spring is getting there, and Jersey Village is eye of the beholder (I would not live there).

Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 PM

40 posts, read 58,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
Humble is pure high crime, Spring is getting there, and Jersey Village is eye of the beholder (I would not live there).
well noted, where would you recommend ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston