Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:31 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times

Advertisements

Why would the city of houston pay to have anything serving katy? Keep the light rail lines within the beltway plus lines to both airports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 08:33 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolvl View Post
Baloney, how many students live in the area the trolley goes to? Not many.
Actually Griggs st near uh has quite of lot of apartments that arent slummy. Had to be down there and it was definitely student living. Saw a mix of ethnicities

Its on the new line

Old 07-23-2015, 08:49 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Actually Griggs st near uh has quite of lot of apartments that arent slummy. Had to be down there and it was definitely student living. Saw a mix of ethnicities

Its on the new line
New student housing is also going up soon on the site of the current Page Center (bye bye, Red Rooster!), across the street from MacGregor Park station.

It's also employees at UH that I think would ride.

That said, UH-generated ridership will only be so much. I've always felt that the METRO Board did a disservice by upgrading the plan for these low-density lines to light rail, thereby taking funding away from the lines that would serve a denser population and potentially connect better into suburban commuter services.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 AM

213 posts, read 303,715 times
This will be a text book case analysis used in graduate school for poor planning/use of funds in urban areas.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:41 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I've always felt that the METRO Board did a disservice by upgrading the plan for these low-density lines to light rail
Just so you know, population density can change
if you don't believe me, just look at any area next to the Grand Parkway

Old 07-23-2015, 12:22 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
I agree, straight down Westheimer, but all the way to Katy.
That would have been a bad idea. Have it end in the Galleria. For Katy to be served, you really need a mass rapid transit system.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:53 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Just so you know, population density can change
if you don't believe me, just look at any area next to the Grand Parkway
That's true, it's just that you would think to spend your resources where it was most appropriate first - and in the case of transit, that's generally serving the areas of greatest density, especially of jobs. Now that METRO's funds were all spent on light rail, which cost more than BRT like originally proposed, there's no funds left at all for things like the University or Uptown lines (Uptown TIRZ and TxDOT are having to build the BRT) nor much-needed improvements to bus service - the new bus plan had a cost constraint of whatever is being spent now.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:46 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
I agree, straight down Westheimer, but all the way to Katy.
I love that idea. But not to Katy. Maybe to like West Oaks Mall. Build a transit station at the mall and have Park and Ride drop and pick up people at the mall.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:28 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
That's true, it's just that you would think to spend your resources where it was most appropriate first - and in the case of transit, that's generally serving the areas of greatest density, especially of jobs. Now that METRO's funds were all spent on light rail, which cost more than BRT like originally proposed, there's no funds left at all for things like the University or Uptown lines (Uptown TIRZ and TxDOT are having to build the BRT) nor much-needed improvements to bus service - the new bus plan had a cost constraint of whatever is being spent now.
I was saying this before the lines were built and all I got was a bunch of slack for saying it.

I feel if you're going to build rail, than do it right.

However, if you're just going to throw a couple of toy trains in the middle in the street in places no one goes to, than just enhance the BRT system we already have in place.

More money gone down the drain. WTG Houston!

Old 07-24-2015, 12:19 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I was saying this before the lines were built and all I got was a bunch of slack for saying it.

I feel if you're going to build rail, than do it right.

However, if you're just going to throw a couple of toy trains in the middle in the street in places no one goes to, than just enhance the BRT system we already have in place.

More money gone down the drain. WTG Houston!
Imagine Houston whether it's elevated, subway, or both had this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiP9krPvyc0

I do realize that Houston doesn't have the density this type of system would require but the density is growing in the city. I mean light rail is nice. But the one Houston has shouldn't really even leave the loop becuase it's basically a tram. No city uses a tram as a transportation system to get people around an entire area. It's basically a fixed bus. Those wanting a line to Katy, Sugarland, Pasadena, Spring should advocate heavy rail (not commuter rail). Unfortunately, I don't see the United States building another one from scratch unless a city can really justify it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: