Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 04:46 PM

309 posts, read 425,095 times

Advertisements

I did an analysis of my electricity usage for the last 13 months and this is what it looks like:
Aug 14 - 516 Kwhr
Sept 14 - 810 Kwhr
Oct 14 - 58 Kwhr
Nov 14 - 195 Kwhr
Dec 14 - 591 Kwhr
Jan 15 - 863 Kwhr
Feb 15 - 977 Kwhr
March 15 - 758 Kwhr
April 15 - 552 Kwhr
May 15 - 269 Kwhr
June 15 - 346 Kwhr
July 15 - 510 Kwhr
Aug 15 - 457 Kwhr

Based on the above, I've not crossed the 1000 Kwhr mark. I came close in Feb but was in the 500 to 1000 Kwhr range otherwise. I am planning on moving in with a partner in about 3 months time, so I guess its best to anticipate that my usage will go higher in the coming year.

On searching on powertochoose.org, the two plans i could find was
Gexa:
500 Kwhr - 5.5c
1000 Kwhr - 7.4c
2000 Kwhr - 9.7c

4 change energy:
500 Kwhr - 7.7c
1000 Kwhr - 3.7c
2000 Kwhr - 6.3c

In anticipation of my increased usage when my partner moves in, which of these two should I take?
Any opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 05:03 PM

74 posts, read 86,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_j11 View Post
Hi all,
I'm trying to do my due diligence prior to actually moving in and research electricity company providers. I'm purchasing a new 5k sqf house with a gas cooktop. What can I expect in terms of usage? I work from home and the thermostat is seldom set below 75 (I get cold if set below that).

In the 1100 sqf apartment I'm living in now, last month I used 1100kwh (electric stove and we cook 6days a week). I'm trying to determine if that figure is realistic in a considering it will be a much bigger space but also more efficient AC unit (2x 16 seer units).

So is that number realistic? I've seen some folks post similar numbers here but what I dont know is how big is the space, lifestyle, etc..

Thanks!
I am sure you will use more. How much depends on how energy efficient the house is and if you can turn off a zone during the day.

For our 5k sq ft house, built in 2008, 3 ACs, swimming pool, all zones set to 76 permanently, family of 4 and 2 over-pampered dogs, gas cooktop, Tech Shield in the attic....

Last bill (early August to early September, 33 days) was 4100 kwh. I suspect the monthly average for the year might come down to 2800 kwh.

Hope that helps.

p.s. I work from home too...

Old 09-14-2015, 09:06 PM

270 posts, read 405,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj42 View Post

In anticipation of my increased usage when my partner moves in, which of these two should I take?
Any opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Looking at your data your average is probably still going to be below 1000 kwh for most months so I'd probably use the Gexa plan. The other one appears to have some sort of credit above 1000 kwh (meaning that you won't generally get it).

Since the partner moves in in 3 months, don't sign up for more than a 6 month plan. That 3 months after they move in (which appear to be your most expensive, you must have electric heat) will give you an idea of the increase and you can switch again.

I'm very much a fan of constant comparison/switching. I'm paying sub-5 cents now and haven't topped 7 cents in a few years. Usually 3-5 month contracts. I generally don't overthink it for a few dollars, I invest about 5 minutes comparing plans every time I switch and I'm done with it.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:44 AM

309 posts, read 425,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero100 View Post
Looking at your data your average is probably still going to be below 1000 kwh for most months so I'd probably use the Gexa plan. The other one appears to have some sort of credit above 1000 kwh (meaning that you won't generally get it).

Since the partner moves in in 3 months, don't sign up for more than a 6 month plan. That 3 months after they move in (which appear to be your most expensive, you must have electric heat) will give you an idea of the increase and you can switch again.

I'm very much a fan of constant comparison/switching. I'm paying sub-5 cents now and haven't topped 7 cents in a few years. Usually 3-5 month contracts. I generally don't overthink it for a few dollars, I invest about 5 minutes comparing plans every time I switch and I'm done with it.
That makes perfect sense, I hadn't noticed that I could sign up for six month plans, I was under the impression that the minimum was a one year contract, but this makes more sense from a financial savings perspective. Thanks for the logical suggestion! Appreciate it very much!

Old 09-15-2015, 06:16 AM

958 posts, read 2,573,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj42 View Post
That makes perfect sense, I hadn't noticed that I could sign up for six month plans, I was under the impression that the minimum was a one year contract, but this makes more sense from a financial savings perspective. Thanks for the logical suggestion! Appreciate it very much!
You could actually sign 3 month contracts or even go month to month without contract
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: