Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Texas NFL team?
Cowboys 22 24.44%
Texans 58 64.44%
...Oilers 10 11.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:00 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Again, the Cowboys are a franchise the Texans won't be in your lifetime. You'll be dead before the Texans become the most popular football team from Texas.

And maybe you'd like to flap your ears and fly to Mars while you're at it.
While I'm at what?

Everything I just predicted is completely possible within a 20 year time frame and your doubt is rooted only in the status quo.

Also, consider the fact that the bulk of your experience with Texans is in the DFW area. There aren't as many diehard Cowboys fans in this state as you think there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:18 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
While I'm at what?

Everything I just predicted is completely possible within a 20 year time frame and your doubt is rooted only in the status quo.

Also, consider the fact that the bulk of your experience with Texans is in the DFW area. There aren't as many diehard Cowboys fans in this state as you think there are.
Yes, there certainly are. Have a look at the link below to get a visual:

Twitter map shows the most popular NFL teams in each county of the United States | For The Win

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58767...fl-team-county

Everywhere in Texas that isn't around Houston is Cowboys territory. Ive spent tons of time in the RGV recently and they are even more diehard than the people in DFW. There are Cowboys billboards, radio adverts for the bars that show the games, tons of people wearing the jerseys, etc. You'll see some people wearing Texans jerseys but none of the other two.

Same goes for San Antonio and the Panhandle. Austin isn't much of a sports town outside the Longhorns so its hard to get a base there.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:50 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Again, the Cowboys are a franchise the Texans won't be in your lifetime. You'll be dead before the Texans become the most popular football team from Texas.

And maybe you'd like to flap your ears and fly to Mars while you're at it.

This thread is about the popularity of these two franchises in the Houston area not all of Texas. You have no way of knowing what the future will bring, or who it will favor, but If the thought of the Cowboys maintaining their popularity in Texas, or wherever, will allow you to die happy when the time comes Petie, then by all means rest in peace

Old 09-20-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, there certainly are. Have a look at the link below to get a visual:

Twitter map shows the most popular NFL teams in each county of the United States | For The Win

The Most Popular NFL Team by County | Mental Floss

Everywhere in Texas that isn't around Houston is Cowboys territory. Ive spent tons of time in the RGV recently and they are even more diehard than the people in DFW. There are Cowboys billboards, radio adverts for the bars that show the games, tons of people wearing the jerseys, etc. You'll see some people wearing Texans jerseys but none of the other two.

Same goes for San Antonio and the Panhandle. Austin isn't much of a sports town outside the Longhorns so its hard to get a base there.
Note that I said "diehard fans"; meaning people that would remain loyal to the Cowboys even if the Texans became the championship winning team.

The fact that they're even called the Texans is enough reason for them to become the state favorite, so if they go on to win SBs, you can bet many Texans will be ready to jump on that bandwagon. None of this is impossible. You have no choice but to admit that much.

Last time I was in San Antonio I seem to recall as much Texans merchandise as otherwise.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Note that I said "diehard fans"; meaning people that would remain loyal to the Cowboys even if the Texans became the championship winning team.

The fact that they're even called the Texans is enough reason for them to become the state favorite, so if they go on to win SBs, you can bet many Texans will be ready to jump on that bandwagon. None of this is impossible. You have no choice but to admit that much.

Last time I was in San Antonio I seem to recall as much Texans merchandise as otherwise.
Would the Texans gain more fans sure. Would the Texans become as popular as the Cowboys with one or two championships, no way.

And yes, there are TONS of diehard Cowboys fans outside DFW. Ive seen them all over the country. There are Dallas Cowboys bars in New York, Chicago, LA, and just about every major city. Only the Steelers, Packers, and Patriots have followings that compare in the NFL. Ive also seen Dallas Cowboys bars in Mexico and Europe.

So I fully disagree with the notion that the Cowboys don't have many diehard fans outside DFW. I find that assertion utter absurd.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Would the Texans gain more fans sure. Would the Texans become as popular as the Cowboys with one or two championships, no way.

And yes, there are TONS of diehard Cowboys fans outside DFW. Ive seen them all over the country. There are Dallas Cowboys bars in New York, Chicago, LA, and just about every major city. Only the Steelers, Packers, and Patriots have followings that compare in the NFL. Ive also seen Dallas Cowboys bars in Mexico and Europe.

So I fully disagree with the notion that the Cowboys don't have many diehard fans outside DFW. I find that assertion utter absurd.
I didn't say there weren't many. I said there likely aren't as many as you believe there are.

Like I said, you have no choice but to admit that my hypothetical is at the least highly possible. The Cowboys are currently more popular because they currently have the better rep, but you're a little naive if you think that 1995 championship win wouldn't soon be forgotten if Houston starts bringing home those Lombardis.

And don't forget that Generation Y is reshaping Texas culture. Most of us are hardly old enough to remember the Cowboys as a great football team. They're our parents' team. If the Texans make it to the top they could become the state favorite of our era.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I didn't say there weren't many. I said there likely aren't as many as you believe there are.

Like I said, you have no choice but to admit that my hypothetical is at the least highly possible. The Cowboys are currently more popular because they currently have the better rep, but you're a little naive if you think that 1995 championship win wouldn't soon be forgotten if Houston starts bringing home those Lombardis.

And don't forget that Generation Y is reshaping Texas culture. Most of us are hardly old enough to remember the Cowboys as a great football team. They're our parents' team. If the Texans make it to the top they could become the state favorite of our era.
It's possible sure, but it's not probable.

For the record, I root for the Texans so long as the result doesn't affect the Cowboys negatively. They're the only other team I'll actually root for.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It's possible sure, but it's not probable.
And your probability is based on the status quo not insight.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
And your probability is based on the status quo not insight.
You don't have anything better to prove your point so let's leave it at that.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
While I'm at what?

LOL. The Cowboys are far more popular throughout the state. That will likely not change either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston