Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,605,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Yes, that is what I meant. I meant that the city put an end to the partying, the cruising, etc. Yes, the streets were bumper to bumper for miles, but that was part of the excitement of being in, or wanting to go to Montrose. I lived in West Houston at the time, but the desire of most people was to cruise down Westheimer. The city had the intention of killing that vibe, not controlling it.

In upper Westheimer, you had the drag scene, drag as in racing. The people used to hang out in the parking lots, drinking openly. If I recall, it started at about the Briargrove area because I still recall that repair/transmission shop at the north corner of Briargrove and Westheimer. From that area all the way to Chimney Rock and if I recall, there was a Weingartens. Then you crossed 610 and headed to the "party" which began (at least the bumper traffic) at about Shepherd all the way to Bagby. I was not old enough to go into clubs until 82 when I turned 18, right after the drinking age was changed to 21, but people my age were grandfathered in.
I have no way of knowing for sure, but I'd be willing wager a huge chunk of everything I have that when they pulled that little stunt with shutting down lower Westheimer in the late 80's, it was because they knew an economic recovery was right around the corner and because the suburbs had grown so far out by then, there was going to be a huge demand for inner-city property. Then add to this, Houston has no zoning laws, so it's open season for fat cat developers to buy up the Montrose dirt-cheap and turn around and sell it for a king's ransom in only a matter of maybe a decade. The Montrose was the perfect area for this demand because it's central to everything - downtown, the museum district, Rice U., the med center, all the major sports complexes, uptown-galleria, Memorial Park, Greenway Plaza, etc. etc. The 80's oil bust changed everything.

I also remember the drag scene on the West side. It was a big thing, though not really my thing. I just remember that for some reason, cops turned a blind eye to it. There was also a kind of smaller-scale party scene happening in the Heights around that time as well as I recall. Also, you probably could have gotten into the clubs very easily, at least in the Montrose back then as a minor. I was getting into a lot of places when I was as young as 13. I didn't even need a fake ID half the time, though I did have one. I don't know if that was just the Montrose that was so lax about that stuff, or if everywhere was like that. I never had too many problems with the ID thing when I'd go to Austin back then either. It was a much different era, that's for sure.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-05-2013 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 06:49 AM

16 posts, read 43,159 times
I don't know about Sybil Leek, but the Magick Cauldron is on Montrose now, where a comic place was. Before that it was in the house that is between QTs and the lot next to India, the site of the Buddha place. Before that it was on Richmond. Originally, it was out I 10.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblogger View Post
I lived in montrose from 1972 to 1979. I was 14 and from a small town when i first moved there. I remember most of the places ive heard mentioned here and i loved growing up there. We were so poor...but we were lucky too. It definitely was not a sheltered upbringing and it made me much more open minded and non judgemental. The first place i lived was on welch and it was close to the pagan church. I have been looking for a photo of the pagan church as it was then. If anyone knows where i can find one, please let me know. Places/things i frequented: damiens, montrose block party, the staff of life (head shop/clothing shop), carnabys, alabama/river oaks/tower theaters for midnight movies, grand central, millers grocery store, fat city (a commune a few streets from us), c & n cafe where the parents hung out, hippie hill. There was a band that i liked a lot that played in the area and i cant remember their name. Lead singer was mickey, kenny was a guitarist, and they played at damiens a lot.
There is a Texas Monthly article from 72 or 73 with pics of the Pagan church.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 AM

15 posts, read 42,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrosenostalgia View Post
I don't know about Sybil Leek, but the Magick Cauldron is on Montrose now, where a comic place was. Before that it was in the house that is between QTs and the lot next to India, the site of the Buddha place. Before that it was on Richmond. Originally, it was out I 10.
Thanks. But those two Sybil Leek's Cauldron and The Magick Cauldron are not related.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
There is a Texas Monthly article from 72 or 73 with pics of the Pagan church.
Yes, I saw that. That was real interesting. A shame there isn't more to it online but no internet or smartphones in the '70s.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 AM

I am insane for Montrose history. I lived in Montrose from 95 to this year, when I moved. I was there a few tomes in the 80s, during the day, but can't remember a lot of these places even though I know I passed right by. If anyone has any photos that would have ant old locations, or views of the street (especially Wertheimer), I would love to see them. I was only there at the end of the heyday, but I miss it. Am probably moving back after I get my MA, and will write about it all. I used to write for Outsmart and the Montrose Star. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorD2 View Post
Thanks. But those two Sybil Leek's Cauldron and The Magick Cauldron are not related.
I am curious: was Sybil Leek's an occult shop? How cool!

Last edited by montrosenostalgia; 11-20-2013 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I am curious: was Sybil Leek's an occult shop? How cool!
It was a famed British witch's occult restaurant, that was originally where Chances was located, in the early '70s then later moved to Rice Village next to where Half Price Books is located. I can't tell you much more than that as there is nothing online about it anywhere. Below are some links that briefly mention it:

"More lenient with such as she, America accepted the eccentric British woman and she continued into old age, studying the occult, writing books and operating a restaurant - Sybil Leeks's Cauldron' - in Houston, Texas." World Travel with Anne

"I met her at the cauldron...in Houston I was a reader of the book of changes at the time and she had Rex a tarot reader there at the time." https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sybil...52840851413342

Old 11-21-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
It was a famed British witch's occult restaurant, that was originally where Chances was located, in the early '70s then later moved to Rice Village next to where Half Price Books is located. I can't tell you much more than that as there is nothing online about it anywhere. Below are some links that briefly mention it:

"More lenient with such as she, America accepted the eccentric British woman and she continued into old age, studying the occult, writing books and operating a restaurant - Sybil Leeks's Cauldron' - in Houston, Texas." World Travel with Anne

"I met her at the cauldron...in Houston I was a reader of the book of changes at the time and she had Rex a tarot reader there at the time." https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sybil...52840851413342
I found a mention of it as The Witch's Cauldron: Witchwolrd 109 - The Original Sacred Pentagraph Personalities

Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:

I also found out that Sybil Leek's Cauldron moved to Rice Village at some point after it was on Westheimer. She came to to US in '64, and then moved to Florida in 1967, so it may not have been around too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston