Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:38 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,756 times

Advertisements

Sod. Also, it is imperative that you make sure that the builder has sloped your yard correctly in order for water to run towards the front of your house.

Here is an excellent picture: http://yourhousewhisperers.com/wp-co...13/07/23-2.jpg

Do not close until this is correct. Trust me, you will regret it afterwards. I had to fight with my builder for months to the point that they finally approved some drains to help with all the standing water issues I was having. Schedule your grass installation as soon as you close because if it rains, the builder will not be responsible if the grading gets messed up do to rain, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
Sod. Also, it is imperative that you make sure that the builder has sloped your yard correctly in order for water to run towards the front of your house.

Here is an excellent picture: http://yourhousewhisperers.com/wp-co...13/07/23-2.jpg

Do not close until this is correct. Trust me, you will regret it afterwards. I had to fight with my builder for months to the point that they finally approved some drains to help with all the standing water issues I was having. Schedule your grass installation as soon as you close because if it rains, the builder will not be responsible if the grading gets messed up do to rain, etc.
Definitely don't forget slope. It doesn't have to be like his picture, but you're in trouble if it drains towards your foundation.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
IIRC, the CoH subdivision ordinance, which controls everything in the ETJ, mandates yards drain to the street.

Sometimes the drainage is changed when folks put in landscaping.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:51 PM

309 posts, read 246,349 times
Thanks all for your helpful comments.

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 2,296 times
Sod is probably best. St. Augustine tolerates some shade. In the winter hand spread rye grass for winter color and to keep from tracking unwanted mud into the house -Sold at feed stores or WalMart. The main problem with any seed is the rain washing it away or uneven growth. There are lots of places that sell and deliver sod. And you can plant St Augustine in clumps and runners and with patience and water it will cover and make a lawn. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Panda, you may want to consider doing an under-the-grass drip system and even researching grasses other than St. Augustine.

The drip systems use much less water, are much more efficient and are much better for the grass.

Although St. Augustine does great in Houston, it's not a great grass, IMHO. I have it due to my grass type not being a high priority along with the fact that it was there when I bought the house. If I started new, I'd seriously consider a drip system and a different type of grass.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:51 AM

309 posts, read 246,349 times
Thanks Pedro,

So far, i have seen Bermuda and Zoysia but both seem to be much more expensive that St.Augustine.
Do you have any other recommendations? I don't want to spend lot of money for grass but do have some wiggle room if i can get good quality grass for decent price.

Thanks,

Old 09-14-2015, 12:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Puck View Post
Thanks Pedro,

So far, i have seen Bermuda and Zoysia but both seem to be much more expensive that St.Augustine.
Do you have any other recommendations? I don't want to spend lot of money for grass but do have some wiggle room if i can get good quality grass for decent price.

Thanks,

Here is a long thread about grass in Houston:

Is there anything better than St Augustine grass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston