Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 03:58 PM

27 posts, read 148,575 times

Advertisements

We are moving back to the area after being gone for 6 years and looking at The Woodlands again. We lived there before (I know a lot has changed), but the commute back then was brutal. We lived in the 77389 zip (Creekside Park). We've heard from friends still there that the new expansion of Gosling to 99 will help a lot and then jumping on to Hardy. But then another friend said HELLS-NO, it will still suck, lol.
I would love to build or buy in Woodsons Reserve, but hubby said he is very much anti-MUD payments, says it's a waste of money. But the Woodson's commute would be pretty sweet to downtown I would think. Anyone live in TW (like 77389 sections) that can comment on the commute on a good day and on a bad day? He'd be leaving around 6 or 7am for downtown and returning around 4-5pm so your basic "everyone else is on the road" times, lol. I'm wondering if paying a MUD is basically your fee for getting a sweet commute. HAHA.
He seems to think 45mins each way is going to be the norm, and I am thinking that's not the case at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 10:27 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie View Post
We are moving back to the area after being gone for 6 years and looking at The Woodlands again. We lived there before (I know a lot has changed), but the commute back then was brutal. We lived in the 77389 zip (Creekside Park). We've heard from friends still there that the new expansion of Gosling to 99 will help a lot and then jumping on to Hardy. But then another friend said HELLS-NO, it will still suck, lol.
I would love to build or buy in Woodsons Reserve, but hubby said he is very much anti-MUD payments, says it's a waste of money. But the Woodson's commute would be pretty sweet to downtown I would think. Anyone live in TW (like 77389 sections) that can comment on the commute on a good day and on a bad day? He'd be leaving around 6 or 7am for downtown and returning around 4-5pm so your basic "everyone else is on the road" times, lol. I'm wondering if paying a MUD is basically your fee for getting a sweet commute. HAHA.
He seems to think 45mins each way is going to be the norm, and I am thinking that's not the case at all.
Paying MUD is your fee for having new construction -- they need to put in the infrastructure and it comes through as your MUD tax. Older communities have typically already paid off their bonds, so they don't have that tax anymore.

Have you looked at Benders Landing / Benders Landing Estates? Right next to Woodson's Reserve, but 1+ acre lots and no MUD tax.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:35 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Paying MUD is your fee for having new construction -- they need to put in the infrastructure and it comes through as your MUD tax. Older communities have typically already paid off their bonds, so they don't have that tax anymore.

Have you looked at Benders Landing / Benders Landing Estates? Right next to Woodson's Reserve, but 1+ acre lots and no MUD tax.
Incorrect - the MUD tax is likely lower, but there is still a MUD tax to help pay for operations of the water / sewer / drainage infrastructure.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
You're looking at a minimum of an hour commute from Woodlands to Downtown/Minute Maid Park area. 45 is like a parking lot.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:55 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
You're looking at a minimum of an hour commute from Woodlands to Downtown/Minute Maid Park area. 45 is like a parking lot.
Get ready for even more pain once 45N construction starts. You could not pay me enough money to do that commute (well maybe if a helicopter was included in the deal. )

Old 10-01-2018, 12:20 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Get ready for even more pain once 45N construction starts. You could not pay me enough money to do that commute (well maybe if a helicopter was included in the deal. )
45N has been in construction for as long as anyone of us have lived in Houston. I know I couldn't, let alone wouldn't do that commute. My commute is less than 10 minutes to work, gym, shopping, restaurants, my bank, the closest WalMart, etc., all of that is in NW Houston (where I reside). I don't get these folks who choose these hour long commutes from the suburbs to the city and vice versa. I know their fuel costs are crazy high.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:29 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,249 times
Please don’t do it to yourself. That isn’t a commute you want to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston