Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 07:11 PM

402 posts, read 271,632 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
I'm looking for a good place to buy Spicy Pork Tamales from that is located in the Southeast Houston or near Baybrook mall. The Alamo Tamale on Hwy 3 closed in Webster Tx. They have hinted at maybe reopening some else but nothing has been said yet.. So I've been looking for another place to buy them for the Holidays. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 09:45 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,065,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty76 View Post
Hi everyone
I'm looking for a good place to buy Spicy Pork Tamales from that is located in the Southeast Houston or near Baybrook mall. The Alamo Tamale on Hwy 3 closed in Webster Tx. They have hinted at maybe reopening some else but nothing has been said yet.. So I've been looking for another place to buy them for the Holidays. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you
My experience - they tend to be best at places that sell them like one day a week - so that they make so many that they are really good and haven't been sitting around a long time to dry out - often the same places that have barbacoa on Saturday or Sunday. A lot of these look like convenience stores but also have a meat counter.

I may be entirely wrong - but that is my experience. Maybe there is a place that sells so many of them 7 days a week that you can find them similarly fresh. (Some of the best I ever had in Houston years ago were sold by a church - once again so good and fresh!) I have been away from Houston for a long time, so can't really recommend a place - but we used to get barbacoa from a little store on Patton Street in the Northside. I think it was Gerardo's.

(I remember that these tamales were very very good but not particularly spicy.)

Old 10-22-2023, 08:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,956 times
I used to go to Alamo Tamale when I lived in Clear Lake.

I just bought a 10 pack of beef tamales at HEB in League City/South Shore - 10 for about $10. There is a refrigerated counter in front of the bakery section. They had spicy pork and chicken too. They were quite good. If you can't find fresh ones at a good restaurant, these will be adequate. I come from a family that used to make tamales for Christmas, so I do believe I have respectable tamale standards!

Old 10-23-2023, 06:02 AM

15,461 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I used to go to Alamo Tamale when I lived in Clear Lake.

I just bought a 10 pack of beef tamales at HEB in League City/South Shore - 10 for about $10. There is a refrigerated counter in front of the bakery section. They had spicy pork and chicken too. They were quite good. If you can't find fresh ones at a good restaurant, these will be adequate. I come from a family that used to make tamales for Christmas, so I do believe I have respectable tamale standards!
My wife buys the HEB tamales as well, and comes from a long line of Christmas tamale makers. She says the HEB tamales are as good and much less effort than making them at home.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,959 times
Look up Vanessa Lomeli on Facebook. She is in that area now and makes & sells some incredible Mexican food that she makes per order off FB. For a while she was the talent behind a small restaurant in the Hobby area that made food critic Alison Cook's list of 100 best restaurants in Houston.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:35 PM

Thank you everyone. I got some Tamales from Gringo's and they were even better than the ones that we were getting before.

Old 10-25-2023, 01:40 PM

18 posts, read 5,638 times
Default Where is the good Mexican food in Houston

I have no idea. Can you tell me where to get good Mexican food in Houston? I'm an AZ transplant and have been disappointed with the Mexican food in Texas. Tex-Mex is good but can I get a carne asada burrito sometime? Or a sonoran hot dog? Houston doesn't have sonoran style Mexican Help!!!!

Old 10-25-2023, 06:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstoner View Post
I have no idea. Can you tell me where to get good Mexican food in Houston? I'm an AZ transplant and have been disappointed with the Mexican food in Texas. Tex-Mex is good but can I get a carne asada burrito sometime? Or a sonoran hot dog? Houston doesn't have sonoran style Mexican Help!!!!
The previously mentioned Vanessa Lomeli was the talent behind this restaurant, which had a great sonoran style hot dog. Unfortunately the restaurant closed, but she does still sell food off Facebook. https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and...ite-indulgence

Old 10-26-2023, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstoner View Post

https://www.blancococinacantina.com/...ns/houston-tx/ look for Texas and then Houston

this place has carne asada burrito on the menu

hopefully this is in your price range and a good location for you. I've never been to this place before but this is what I was able to find.

I wasn't able to find anything for the Sonoran hot dog, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Good Tamales in Southeast Houston area?-screen-shot-2023-10-26-1.59.10  

Old 11-03-2023, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 5,638 times
Thank you for the recommendation. I looked them up and they have locations in multiple states. I will check them out. They have a Tucson chimichanga on the menu that I now have to try My search for the Sonoran hot dog in Houston continues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston