Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:13 AM

48 posts, read 91,338 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We have been searching through older posts and reading to get a picture of how the suburbs of Houston will fit us.

Hoping you guys will give us some current additional info on the factors central to us:

Youth Girls Soccer - We have an academy level player that plays up in age. Soccer is her complete passion in life so we will need to be near an elite youth soccer club

Quality middle and high school - all 3 of our kids are in advanced classes above grade level so keeping them challenged is vital

Enjoyable Beach - We moved to Charleston, SC in part for the perk of its beaches. They are the most calming thing for me. It is pretty clear the beaches most near to Houston do not compete with those of the Carolina Coast, but are there beaches where you can go sit and enjoy the sound of the waves and breathe fresh air and maybe play in or on the sand?

Now for the huge problem, we need to find us a place in an area that provides some reasonable package of these for around $1,300 a month in rent / mortgage with 4 bedrooms preferred.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Let me know of any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:12 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
I think it's here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasyland

That being said, you need to decide what is critical and focus on that. My guess is that the budget is the least flexible, and the areas that offer the best schools and activities are really well outside that budget number.

Additionally, the beach is really a getaway, not part of Houston proper. Bolivar/Galveston/Surfside are more like day getaways than a primary residence for most of Houston.

Last edited by mikeyyc; 11-30-2015 at 10:21 AM..

Old 11-30-2015, 10:18 AM

27 posts, read 25,011 times
Galveston, while not Carolina beaches is accessible from any suburb in Houston. It is usually at most a two hour commute. Some areas of Spring/Klein fit your description, though 4 beds in that price range may be a bit of a challenge that feeds to any of the better school districts in the Houston area.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out, and welcome to Houston.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 AM

48 posts, read 91,338 times
Thanks Azzo.

My fear is I will be sacrificing my love of the beach to get everyone else what is needed. I am hoping for a little something tho. Just a spot to go relax and enjoy the sounds and views. I am very flexible to make things work.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:03 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Look in league city. You will have great schools, a more
Coastal vibe and a 30 Minute ride to Galveston. While not gorgeous as in postcard beauty, Galveston has its charms unless you are very negative. Sand is brown and thick and water is brown (silt from Mississippi flow) but on cold days it can take on a greener hue. Great fun at monthly evening art walks.

Last edited by texas7; 11-30-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-30-2015, 11:35 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Look in league city.
^ this.. or Katy.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:04 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
League city would Put op in a good school district plus close
Proximity to coast for weekend visits. She or he could
Get to galveston in 30 minutes from
League city. Katy is way far from
The coastal areas.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:12 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
I agree that Clear Lake or League City are your best bet. Why leave where you are? Seems you are setting yourself up for disappointment. The roadblock I see is getting a 4 bedroom for $1300 per month in a good area. Unless you have a huge downpayment for a home, $1300 won't get you much in a good neighborhood. It will get you more in a bad area.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:22 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
What about work location? Commute will be a big factor too.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:25 PM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Look in league city. You will have great schools, a more
Coastal vibe and a 30 Minute ride to Galveston. While not gorgeous as in postcard beauty, Galveston has its charms unless you are very negative. Sand is brown and thick and water is brown (silt from Mississippi flow) but on cold days it can take on a greener hue. Great fun at monthly evening art walks.
OP don't focus on beaches. (BTW: I am glad, you don't expect mountains - some people are "shocked" about how flat Houston area is. )
Beaches around here are not nice at all, but you might find a spot that is less than ugly....
Some days there is higher than normal levels of fecal bacteria, and feels like a swimming in a toilet. Most other, people are just stomping along brownish-gray sand to take a summer dip in the tepid, murky Gulf waters that play host to jellyfish and strings of seaweed.
YES, there is the seaweed AND the trash:
Thousands of Adopt-A-Beach volunteers remove an average of 500 tons of trash each year from Texas beaches.
Since 1986, more than 476,000 volunteers have removed 9,000 tons (more than 17 million pounds) of trash from Texas beaches and estuaries. <<< WOW!!!

which is the nicest galveston beach
10 Of The Best Beaches In Texas To Visit This Summer

Last edited by elnina; 11-30-2015 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston