Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:12 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
Looks like someone is racist.

I am white and never see anything like this. Growing up in Sugar Land, many of my friends are Asian and we were always outside.
That's cute! I grew up in Houston and had Asian friends too! Did you also have a black friend? That'd be SO COOL if you did!!! But I'm not talking about kids playing outside. I'm talking about "grown ups" behaving this way, in this decade. And perhaps, why the city is receiving white flight from Sugar Land. I'm sure you didn't contribute to any of that, Mr. 77077.

If other people's behavior makes me racist, then I'm a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 07:12 AM

467 posts, read 1,186,214 times
I too agree. It does come down to a specific block and how willing you are in getting to know your neighbors. My neighbors and I talk to each other daily and take turns to host dinners. One of our neighbors host Halloween party for the kids, where we close off the street and everyone brings a dish, grilling hot dogs, etc. The kids look forward to it each year.

In Aliana, the club house organizes pool ice cream parties, family movie nights on the lawn, food truck afternoons, etc.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:31 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
No, you won't ever have to call for noise complaints but there tends to be rashes of burglaries targeted at Asian owned homes in these types of neighborhoods every now and then. Of course, no one saw or heard anything. Just like no one saw or heard anything when that whole "educated, professional, model minority" family was executed last year.

My experience is most Asians are not neighborly, feel that it is ok to disregard the rules and pass this onto their kids. A few are good, but you are more likely to encounter someone running frantically inside their homes when you try to talk to them. Or see 14 people go in and out of the same home, most of whom you've never seen before. Or see different cars idling in front of one house at night, and when you go out to see what's going on the car races away after they see you. And so on.

There is shady business going on in those communities for sure. This is why I moved my family away from those creeps.
I knew it was only a matter of time before these two would jump in with this type of comment.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:26 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
First Colony is the original master development so is not a specific neighborhood.

Colony Meadows is one of the oldest neighborhood in First Colony and there are still quite a bit of empty nester folks living there.

Woodstream is the same as Colony Meadows except it is 20-30% cheaper and in smaller houses.

I second Sienna.

However, like some of the poster said, it also comes down to the specific block.
Generally stay away from the estate sized lots. Tend to be older people. Steep Bank East in Sienna along with Brushy Lakes skew younger.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:25 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Why such hate for Sugar Land recently?

The communities are different but not bad. People generally keep to themselves in the houses and yards, and every house I know uses a lawn service, so no sharing tools with neighbors, but is that really so bad? Many of us work very long hours and travel a lot, so it's nice to spend time relaxing with our families.

That being said, it's a whole different world in the community areas, like the trails, parks, parklets, pools, etc. Very friendly people that socialize in those places. We chose to go to these places and interact when we want. We can sit in the neighborhood parklet and there's usually someone to chat with. It's not that bad. Lots of kids and families riding bikes, tons of kids for Halloween.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:01 PM

139 posts, read 155,761 times
Quote:
That's cute! I grew up in Houston and had Asian friends too! Did you also have a black friend? That'd be SO COOL if you did!!! But I'm not talking about kids playing outside. I'm talking about "grown ups" behaving this way, in this decade. And perhaps, why the city is receiving white flight from Sugar Land. I'm sure you didn't contribute to any of that, Mr. 77077.

You sure are paranoid. I can't speak for all of Sugar Land, but good riddance.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 PM

14 posts, read 20,043 times
I think the Katy area would be your best bet for what you're looking for. I'm out there often on business and it is definitely a family oriented area. Plus best schools you can find in the Houston area. Welcome and good luck!

Old 12-08-2015, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,080 times
Thanks everyone for your comments! You guys are so helpful!

If anyone else has any suggestions on specific subdivisions within these neighborhoods please comment.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:59 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,003 times
All of Fort Bend county is great!!!

Old 12-09-2015, 09:45 AM

676 posts, read 932,164 times
Quote:

Bless your heart! I wasn't just talking about kids. I was talking about whole families also!

FYI: I grew up in 77479 and currently live in 77477. 77077 was only for a short while. I know quite a bit about the area, obviously more than you.

Last edited by ilikeme; 12-09-2015 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston