Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 03:55 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,806,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Deflect and circle when you're losing ground, nice strategy.

Let's see...Houston has been adding over 100,000 residents for every 10 year census, annexation is a big part of that, but since 1999 Houston's annexation procedures have become much more difficult. Houston continued to grow between periods of annexation, that means the city's population continued to increase without the city expanding its borders. If that happens then there must be development in Houston, more houses being built, more apartments and condos going up.

The fact remains Houston's density is still pretty low, 3,662 people per square mile, and since the city's population continues to increase, there must be construction happening somewhere...
LOL, you'd be taken more seriously if you could make a valid argument without trying to insult people or making snarky remarks.

There is construction all around, as stated earlier if you missed it. Lots of apartments, townhouses, and mixed use buildings going up, all where single family homes (and some businesses) used to be.
Still waiting to see that open plot of land for more neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 04:11 PM

293 posts, read 756,921 times
I'm surprised that Bridgeland is not on this list. They seem to be building and selling a bunch of homes there.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:08 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydogs1 View Post
I'm surprised that Bridgeland is not on this list. They seem to be building and selling a bunch of homes there.
They were in the first few years, but I've noticed they've really slowed since 3rd/4th Q of 2014. Keep in mind they have a lot of direct competition next door with Cypress Creek Lakes, Towne Lake & Canyon Lakes West.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
LOL, you'd be taken more seriously if you could make a valid argument without trying to insult people or making snarky remarks.

There is construction all around, as stated earlier if you missed it. Lots of apartments, townhouses, and mixed use buildings going up, all where single family homes (and some businesses) used to be.
Still waiting to see that open plot of land for more neighborhoods.
I'm not worried how you take my statements, you're the one who couldn't keep up with the conversation and thought I said Houston was the second most populated city in the country. I've made my points, and you've YET to prove any of them wrong. Houston's population is growing between its annexations, so obviously there is room to expand. Though if you think there is no more residential zoning in Houston's 634 miles of land then you must be right, I suppose the population will probably be stagnant when the next census comes around.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:09 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,806,276 times
Quote:
I'm not worried how you take my statements, you're the one who couldn't keep up with the conversation and thought I said Houston was the second most populated city in the country. I've made my points, and you've YET to prove any of them wrong. Houston's population is growing between its annexations, so obviously there is room to expand. Though if you think there is no more residential zoning in Houston's 634 miles of land then you must be right, I suppose the population will probably be stagnant when the next census comes around.
Cool story, bro.
Of course there is room to expand, that's what we've been telling you.

Quote:
Gee Idk, I figure somewhere in that 600+ square miles of city owned land that there is some unused space that they could expand in without pushing the suburbs farther and farther from the city.
No.

Where's that big plot of land? Oh, that's right... you can't find it.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Houston has grown quite a bit since the last census in both the city and metro and it is continuing to increase its population even in this economic environment.

Also you seem to make a lot of Houston's geographical size and its true Houston does cover a large area but that is not the reason it continues to grow, like you say Houston has had limited population growth from annexation in the last couple of decades.

I also wonder if you have ever considered that Chicago covers a huge area compared to many other cities as well. Like Detroit which I believe is less than 100 square miles in area as is San Francisco , Washington DC, Miami and a few others. Is that the only reason Chicago is more populous than those cities? Also LA is huge compared to Chicago and all those other cities , do you complain about their annexation policies ?

One last point , all those MPC's listed are not in the City of Houston and have no bearing on Houston proper's population

Last edited by Jack Lance; 01-15-2016 at 09:37 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 09:53 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,712,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Most of the high-paying jobs at big companies are in DT. Those office buildings are usually filled with doctors/dentist offices and smaller, services firms.
Those doctor/dentist office jobs are not "high paying" unless you are the doctor/dentist.

Truth be told, unless you are "hand picked," the Downtown-Uptown-Energy Corridor white collar office jobs are upper-middle paying jobs. But they are cushy, comfortable and safe.

If you want to stack some real money, you go to the east side. And that extends from 610/225 all the way to Sabine Pass. Where the rubber meets the road.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:15 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Those doctor/dentist office jobs are not "high paying" unless you are the doctor/dentist.

Truth be told, unless you are "hand picked," the Downtown-Uptown-Energy Corridor white collar office jobs are upper-middle paying jobs. But they are cushy, comfortable and safe.

If you want to stack some real money, you go to the east side. And that extends from 610/225 all the way to Sabine Pass. Where the rubber meets the road.

What exactly does "cushy" mean. Does that mean air conditioned ?

Old 01-20-2016, 10:23 AM

430 posts, read 640,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

What about the layoffs with the low oil prices?

Old 04-09-2016, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 703 times
I am telling you. The market is on fire. I am in remodeling business, and people in those areas are so motivated to renovate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston