Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:35 AM

82 posts, read 102,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark80 View Post
Again, as you demonstrate here, there is always tradeoff.
If it only took 20 minutes to get downtown from Katy at peak rush hour, real estate in Katy would be much more cost prohibitive.
True, but you said a house twice as big in Katy for the same amount of money. It is a lot less money. There is not much of an option for most people if they want good public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:16 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
The "600k teardown" comment is also a gross exaggeration.
There is also way too much fear mongering over city schools, and things are only improving as areas are being repopulated by young professionals vs the low income minorities with uninvolved parents. Do your job as a parent, get involved with the PTA, etc.
Or like said, choose a private school. You can still get a livable house in the oak forest area for $350k or one completely remodeled for $450k. Or if you just have to have the 3000+ sq ft brand new custom house look to spend around 7-900k.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
There is also way too much fear mongering over city schools, and things are only improving as areas are being repopulated by young professionals vs the low income minorities with uninvolved parents. Do your job as a parent, get involved with the PTA, etc.
Or like said, choose a private school. You can still get a livable house in the oak forest area for $350k or one completely remodeled for $450k. Or if you just have to have the 3000+ sq ft brand new custom house look to spend around 7-900k.
600k teardown is not an exaggeration if you want avg to good K-12 based on ratings. That's not to say the low rated schools aren't improving.

You are hard pressed to find a completely remodeled home zoned to OFE for $450K.

Yes, you can choose private school, but my point is that it is way more expensive to live in the city than it is to live in the suburbs and private school adds to that cost. The argument that you can get everything you can get in the suburbs minus some square footage for the same price in the city is misleading to people who don't know the market.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilz987 View Post
my point is that it is way more expensive to live in the city than it is to live in the suburbs and private school adds to that cost.
Not arguing that at all, nor would anyone else I don't think. Just that your examples ARE exaggerated.
You just need to expect to be in a smaller home without the MPC amenities, not a McMansion. And look at the full picture, like property taxes for instance.
It's certainly possible to make the switch and keep your net monthly budget the same, or just a little increase. Depending on your personal lifestyle, it could mean a dramatic improvement in quality of life. Or not so much. Everyone is different and you need to decide what's worth giving up vs what you'll gain.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:18 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:

There aren't many if any complelty remodeled houses in OF for 450k I think that's stretch

Old 01-22-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Not arguing that at all, nor would anyone else I don't think. Just that your examples ARE exaggerated.
You just need to expect to be in a smaller home without the MPC amenities, not a McMansion. And look at the full picture, like property taxes for instance.
It's certainly possible to make the switch and keep your net monthly budget the same, or just a little increase. Depending on your personal lifestyle, it could mean a dramatic improvement in quality of life. Or not so much. Everyone is different and you need to decide what's worth giving up vs what you'll gain.
I have been looking in multiple neighborhoods around the city for a while. No exaggeration at all.

I am not arguing that suburbia is preferable to city life. I actually prefer the city. However, square footage is not the only thing you give up when you move into the city, contrary to what a previous poster implied. Most families cannot afford to live in the city and put their kids into good schools, so unless they are willing to compromise on schools, the decision is essentially made for them.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilz987 View Post
I have been looking in multiple neighborhoods around the city for a while. No exaggeration at all.

I am not arguing that suburbia is preferable to city life. I actually prefer the city. However, square footage is not the only thing you give up when you move into the city, contrary to what a previous poster implied. Most families cannot afford to live in the city and put their kids into good schools, so unless they are willing to compromise on schools, the decision is essentially made for them.
I still partially agree with you and we just escaped from Katy/Fulshear this year.
Everything I said applies. Just comes down to priorities.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There aren't many if any complelty remodeled houses in OF for 450k I think that's stretch
We were looking at one at 490k that was not just a remodel, but a complete gut job and addition added. Basically a brand new house outside of the slab and exterior framing. Even a new driveway. But this was Steven's elementary so that was the only downside. Great location too, right on the TC Jester trail system.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:10 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,003 times
More HOV lanes and Toll lanes than anything feel like they could have made more main lanes.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:19 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
We were looking at one at 490k that was not just a remodel, but a complete gut job and addition added. Basically a brand new house outside of the slab and exterior framing. Even a new driveway. But this was Steven's elementary so that was the only downside. Great location too, right on the TC Jester trail system.

What's the address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston