Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 11,816 times

Advertisements

We just purchased a new house and been researching on appliances to get. What do you guys recommend? For the fridge, we would like for it to be a side by side. The washer we were thinking a front loader, but I keep reading reviews on how it smells moldy. I was looking to purchase the washer/dryer from lowes (probably lg or whirlpool brand), but keep on reading bad reviews on it. Then I stumbled upon the speed queen brand and was wondering what did u guys think of them? Would rather pay extra now for it to last 10+ years. For you speed queen owners, do u guys have any recommendation on dealers that sells them in the Houston area.

My budget for each item is listed below
Fridge: $1500-1800 (was planning on purchasing the lg side by side, the door within door model from lowes with the extended warranty)

washer: $800-$1000
Dryer: $800-$1000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 02:23 PM

225 posts, read 519,949 times
I'd stay away from LG and Samsung as they have the worst reliability. GE and Whirlpool, in my opinion, are the top brands however GE just sold their appliance division to Haier (Chinese company). My GE side-by-side is going strong after 11 years. We have Maytag wash/dryers (mfg by Whirlpool in USA) and they have been great

This Maytag front loader is only $599 @ Lowes (CHEAP!) Shop Maytag 4.2-cu ft High-Efficiency Stackable Front-Load Washer with Steam Cycle (White) ENERGY STAR at Lowes.com and it even has Steam washing.

The only times you get the mold smell is if you leave the doors closed--don't ever do that. Running a clean cycle with the Afresh tablets once a month or two helps too.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 PM

234 posts, read 292,844 times
I hate front loading washing machines.

Maytag is good.

Avoid Samsung and LG, as noted.

Whirlpool is good.

#1 problem with refrigerators is the "ice through the door feature". Try to avoid that. Get a simple one with a freezer on bottom. Rough it, and open freezer to get ice. Much simpler.

GE has gone bad.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
I have had LG front loader washer (won't have top loader) and gas dryer plus LG French door fridge for nearly 6 years now and have been very pleased with them. I would buy them again. We bought everything at Fry's and got a really good deal. (We also bought a large screen TV at the same time so that probably helped). No extended warranty. I cannot remember what we paid but I know it was cheaper than anywhere else and I did lots of comparison shopping.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:27 PM

9 posts, read 11,816 times
Thank you for the help guys. Yeah I have been reading a lot about how bad samsung and LG. That's why I figured I would purchase the extended warranty regardless of any brand I choose.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 AM

455 posts, read 525,365 times
I have a Samsung HE top loader washer and the matching dryer. Going fine for 3 years with 0 issues. The extended warranty from Home Depot was only $20 or so each, so i sprang for that. I would recommend it from my own experience but from looking at the reviews on HD there appear to be some lemons out there....

Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
GE...ours 11 years washer and dryer still going.

My parents' GE drier 31 years old. Washer died after 20+ years.
GE fridge purchased in 1985 still in their laundry room, serving as second fridge (was only fridge 85-89 till they moved into this house that has a Subzero - also still running since 1983).

Our Subzero is from 1987. My laundry room fridge is 2010 (GE) and I stuck with GE for my garage freezer.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Front load use less water and wash the clothes better.

Samsung and LG make very quality products, I don't know why you guys are so negative on them. I bought a set of LG front load about 4 years ago and have zero issue. That thing is so smart I can bring my phone to diagnose a problem. They weren't cheap but it is relatively quiet and the clothes always come out very clean.

I did bought all new GE appliances (beside a fridge) for a kitchen remodel. The dishwasher had some door issue after 2 month but GE guys came out pretty quick. No problem on anything else.

Food for thought, there is a open box GE appliances place on BW8 by the horsetrack. They sell all GE products that are scratch and dent and open box with full warranty for 10-30% less. I didn't buy anything there as they didn't had the model I want but it is a decent deal if u looking to save a few bucks.

I would buy the Korean products and then GE before Maytag, Electrolux, and Fridgire.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:05 AM

675 posts, read 1,453,548 times
Just bought a Maytag washer and dryer after having our Kenmore's for over 12 years, great machines so far.

Samsung French Door fridge for over 3 years and we love it as well.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:09 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
Kenmore all the way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: