Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM

53 posts, read 175,458 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I have been looking into moving to Round Rock. We're from Minnesota and we can't stand the cold anymore 5 days of being stuck inside is about all I can handle, and short summers are depressing, so we've been doing some reasearch south and ran across Round Rock... We also have two kids.
I have some questions and it would be so great of anyone to answere them for us!!
1) How friendly are the people there including kids. How about the age range with everyone too?
2) I've read some stuff on the schools there... I've read some things about which not to attend... why are those so bad? and which ones are the best ones there?
4) Are there any crimes or drugs in the area?
3) Jobs... I'm a graphic designer and my husband is in sales for construction are those hard jobs to find?
4) Hows the weather there (all year)? Is there a certain time of the year it gets really bad, and what happens??? ohhh and snow...please tell me theres NO snow there!!!!!!! he-he

Thank so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,457,536 times
Round Rock?

Wrong Forum. Try the Austin forum.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,631,514 times
The Round Rock Express are the AAA affiliate of the Houston Astros. That's about the extent of Round Rock's ties to Houston, other than them both being in Texas.

But yeah, I'll do my best here:

1) I like most people in that area but they're definitely the old-school conservative types that people associate with Texas - while Austinites are keeping Austin weird, they're keeping Round Rock, Georgetown etc. really, really normal.
2) The school rankings in Texas are based more on standardized testing than anything else. Some kids fill in bubbles better than others. Be involved in your kid's schoolwork and you don't need to be an "exemplary" school district, no matter how much people like to beat their chests about it.
3) There was no No. 3.
4) There is crime and drugs everywhere. Austin and the suburbs have their share of property crime. I don't hear of gangsters offing each other in record numbers in Round Rock, if that's what you're really concerned about.
5) (oh wait, that's No. 3.) Round Rock is the home of Dell Computers and as such the Austin/Round Rock metro leans heavily on the IT sector. They're also building a lot of stuff.
6) (who's counting anymore?) It's hot in Texas. Austin area can get humid too, but not like Houston. But hot, yes, for upwards of six months a year. Very little of anything frozen falling out of the sky, but if there's ever an icestorm, stay safe and just stay in. Drivers in the Sun Belt just don't know how to handle that stuff.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 AM

799 posts, read 3,700,591 times
Austin is the correct forum. Welcome to Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston