Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 06:55 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfkSLGz6oBo

If you're from Houston, you remember the Northside/Southside turf war that tore the city apart. Some guys from Rosewood, which is a small hood on the Northside initiated the war when they came to the Southside and robbed and shot some Southside dudes for their souped-up cars, but really those Rosewood guys robbed Northsiders as well. Southsiders would retaliate against Northsiders and rob Northside guys for their cars, then shoot them as well and the tit-for-tat carjackings and murders created a downward spiral for the city. Even if you weren't involved in the turf war, if you were a Southside resident, you couldn't go to the Northside or you'd be a target and vice versa (Northsiders couldn't go on the SS even if they knew someone there). Rappers from Screwed Up Click were robbed by Northside guys because at the time, SUC dominated Houston's underground hip-hop scene, and Northsiders were jealous because Southside was getting all the glory. It wasn't no Swishahouse, Rap-A-Lot, nobody from the Northside of Houston rapping. I wasn't into all that nonsense even though I grew up during the NS/SS conflict. Among inner city circles, even this isn't known, but those Rosewood dudes who would rob N'Siders and S'Siders for slabs, they were ambushed by some guys from South Park & South Acres waiting in some bushes and when they got the greenlight, they sprayed the guys from Rosewood over 100 times with AK-47 gunfire. I remember driving by Rosewood back then at age 16 (when I first got my license) and seeing the police filling 3 buckets picking up shells. When you rob the wrong people, they will retaliate with a vengeance.

When I represent Houston, I represent the entire city. Northside, Southside, East Houston, West Houston, NW, SW, NE, SE. Greater Houston is included: Sugar Land, Tomball, The Woodlands, Jersey Village, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 10:24 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
That's the area near Rosewood Park off of Tidwell and Homestead? I've never been out that way. I spend a lot of time on the Near Northside, since my wife's family lives over there. Moody Park/Northside HS area. Lots of stuff going on there, back in the day as well. The folks who stick to their whitebread neighborhoods aren't even aware of these areas, and probably don't want to be.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's the area near Rosewood Park off of Tidwell and Homestead? I've never been out that way. I spend a lot of time on the Near Northside, since my wife's family lives over there. Moody Park/Northside HS area. Lots of stuff going on there, back in the day as well. The folks who stick to their whitebread neighborhoods aren't even aware of these areas, and probably don't want to be.
Exactly. Once you go off Homestead & Tidwell, you're in Rosewood. It's a small hood, so you probably won't know you're there. Near Northside was heavy into the NS/SS conflict. The NS/SS turf war affected everyone in Houston, even those in the good areas because you never knew when the battle would take off.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:59 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
When exactly was this?...born and raised here and I don't remember this.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:53 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post

If you're from Houston, you remember the Northside/Southside turf war that tore the city apart. Some guys from Rosewood, which is a small hood on the Northside initiated the war when they came to the Southside and robbed and shot some Southside dudes for their souped-up cars, but really those Rosewood guys robbed Northsiders as well. Southsiders would retaliate against Northsiders and rob Northside guys for their cars, then shoot them as well and the tit-for-tat carjackings and murders created a downward spiral for the city. Even if you weren't involved in the turf war, if you were a Southside resident, you couldn't go to the Northside or you'd be a target and vice versa (Northsiders couldn't go on the SS even if they knew someone there). Rappers from Screwed Up Click were robbed by Northside guys because at the time, SUC dominated Houston's underground hip-hop scene, and Northsiders were jealous because Southside was getting all the glory. It wasn't no Swishahouse, Rap-A-Lot, nobody from the Northside of Houston rapping. I wasn't into all that nonsense even though I grew up during the NS/SS conflict. Among inner city circles, even this isn't known, but those Rosewood dudes who would rob N'Siders and S'Siders for slabs, they were ambushed by some guys from South Park & South Acres waiting in some bushes and when they got the greenlight, they sprayed the guys from Rosewood over 100 times with AK-47 gunfire. I remember driving by Rosewood back then at age 16 (when I first got my license) and seeing the police filling 3 buckets picking up shells. When you rob the wrong people, they will retaliate with a vengeance.

When I represent Houston, I represent the entire city. Northside, Southside, East Houston, West Houston, NW, SW, NE, SE. Greater Houston is included: Sugar Land, Tomball, The Woodlands, Jersey Village, etc.
That's a shame. The US is the only 1st world country with so much $hit like this going on. Why $hit like this does not happen not only in smaller countries like Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, but in a big countries like Canada, China or
India?

Old 11-24-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
When exactly was this?...born and raised here and I don't remember this.
The Northside & Southside Houston war kicked off in the early 90's, like around '92 and lasted until 2000, when DJ Screw died. 97-98 was the peak of the Northside vs. Southside Houston turf war.

Quote:
That's a shame. The US is the only 1st world country with so much $hit like this going on. Why $hit like this does not happen not only in smaller countries like Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, but in a big countries like Canada, China or
India?
If you have large countries with hundreds of millions of people like the US, India and China, there will be groups that don't like each other for whatever reason. Turf wars between countries, cities have been going on for centuries. Every major US city has had intra-city rivalries, where one side of town went to war with another side for whatever reason, be it gang related, inner city street cred, etc.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:08 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
India?
India has had a number of occasions where Hindus and Muslims fought like mad over some imagined slight.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
India has had a number of occasions where Hindus and Muslims fought like mad over some imagined slight.
That's little bit different. And India is not even 1st world country.

But my point is that the US should have cleaned up own interior $hit first before dropping bombs on any other country. US has superiority right to drop bomb on any other country and some of those countries have even less interior problems like this.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:17 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
The Northside & Southside Houston war kicked off in the early 90's, like around '92 and lasted until 2000, when DJ Screw died. 97-98 was the peak of the Northside vs. Southside Houston turf war.

If you have large countries with hundreds of millions of people like the US, India and China, there will be groups that don't like each other for whatever reason. Turf wars between countries, cities have been going on for centuries. Every major US city has had intra-city rivalries, where one side of town went to war with another side for whatever reason, be it gang related, inner city street cred, etc.
I grew up on the south side and remember this time period and all the Northside Southside beef explicitly. I never quite knew what started it outside of the SUC basically dominating the city's underground rap scene as you mentioned. Never knew about the guys from Rosewood, but I had a lot of friends who were pretty scared to go visit friends and family on the north side because known south siders were targets in those days for sure.

Interesting topic thanks for sharing. The younger rappers are way more open and less territorial in general and I'm glad for it - definitely don't want to relive those days.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
definitely don't want to relive those days.
You and me both. I've lost loved ones behind that madness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston