Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:14 AM

47 posts, read 79,141 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with all the developments being considered. However, one is the 2600 block of FM 1093, The Gardens of Cinco Ranch in Katy. The other is a 20 acre tract near Skinner and West Belfort, Magnolia Gardens in Richmond. Apparently, even though they are Richmond and Katy addresses, they are under Houston EJC. We are new to the area and I am not sure what exactly all his means, but I am thinking it doesn't sound good for Fort Bend. Typically multi family rental projects can negatively impact property values. I have also seen a letter that stated anyone filing a complaint about these projects, must do so before 6/12/2016.

Since we are new to the area, I have been on several websites searching for a great area to establish residency. I frequently use city data forum. This is the first I have heard of this. It seems to of flown under the wire. Does anyone have any additional info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 AM

225 posts, read 519,949 times
you can't stop agenda 21

Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 AM

137 posts, read 257,119 times
That does not sound good ... there's also one in Mission Bend probably halfway done.

Greens at Brentford Low Income Housing @ Beechnut and Brentford

Old 06-10-2016, 10:21 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
The Supreme Court has required that federally assisted affordable housing (such as tax credit multifamily) should be directed to places of "high opportunity" defined as areas with middle class or affluent population, more Anglo demographics, and better performing public schools. So north Richmond and south Katy area projects should receive preference over, say, Mission Bend or North Katy area projects.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:25 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The Supreme Court has required that federally assisted affordable housing (such as tax credit multifamily) should be directed to places of "high opportunity" defined as areas with middle class or affluent population, more Anglo demographics, and better performing public schools. So north Richmond and south Katy area projects should receive preference over, say, Mission Bend or North Katy area projects.
So eventually South Katy will look like North Katy?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:45 AM

47 posts, read 79,141 times
That sounds good, but is the infrastructure there. There is more to helping low income families than just providing housing. Mainly career counseling, financial couseling, public transportation, onsite daycare, ect......

just spoke to Vita, the chief executive of Fort Bend Women's Center The multi family complex is not 84 units, but a 104 units. They currently have approximately 50 families with subsidized housing. They are going to fill the other units from other programs. It is my understanding that this a federally subsidized community. Vita communicated that there is no guarantee that all the tenants will be victims of abuse. After working with women of abuse, IMO this is an extremely large facility. IMO this is not only negative for the community, but also for the women of abuse. IMO a smaller single family community would be more support and be more beneficial to woman of abuse. Also, IMO the possibility of placing abused women in a low income community that can not guarantee all the residents are victims of domestic violence puts their safety at risk. This is strictly my opinion but I have real concerns all the way around.

Vita informed me they are still waiting approval on funding. She told me she was waiting on final approval before introducing herself to the community. She also asked how I found out about the project.

In helping a low income family of domestic abuse become successful, there is much more involved than just providing housing.

Will the Women's Center be providing onsite daycare for the 104 families?

Will they be providing transportation?

Will they be providing independent living counseling?

Will they be providing financial counseling, career counseling, group counseling, individual counseling, children counseling?

Will the families be living in supportive pods?

My guess is these are all areas where we could volunteer and help, but this seems like a huge undertaking for a community of our size? A 104 families is a lot to manage. A 20 home community is a lot, but is more manageable.

Does anyone know what the process is to address our concerns to the powers funding the project?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:50 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
more Anglo demographics
What the .... does race have to do with this?
It's about income, not about race

Old 06-10-2016, 11:00 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What the .... does race have to do with this?
It's about income, not about race
You'll have to ask the Supreme Court and the housing "advocates" that pressed the case.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:08 AM

418 posts, read 742,252 times
This makes me very angry. People work hard to buy into a good neighborhood where they feel reasonably sure that their property values will remain stable and the neighborhood will be safe, and then a few people with robes order our good neighborhoods to be invaded by this type of housing.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:28 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,218,368 times
The danger of buying in ETJ's.....like the wild, Wild West

I saw the ones on beechnut...they look like nice apartments but it's way out in the boonies and don't serve a purpose if you have no car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston