Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 05:04 PM

9 posts, read 14,941 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Houston for work. We are coming from the North Shore of Long Island where there are plenty of trees and good schools. We would like to be in the South West as we will be working close to the I10 & 610 exchange memorial area. We would like to find an area with good schools and plenty of scenery. Should we just stay around Cinco Ranch Katy ISD or are there other choices? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 05:12 PM

569 posts, read 1,084,571 times
Budget?

Old 07-19-2016, 05:53 PM

We will rent the 1st year to get a better feel for the neighborhoods but would like to stay in the same school district so the kids don't have to move again. House budget will be around 350k - 500k.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 PM

277 posts, read 306,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmarc10 View Post
My family is relocating to Houston for work. We are coming from the North Shore of Long Island where there are plenty of trees and good schools. We would like to be in the South West as we will be working close to the I10 & 610 exchange memorial area. We would like to find an area with good schools and plenty of scenery. Should we just stay around Cinco Ranch Katy ISD or are there other choices? Thanks for any input.
I don't know much about school districts but did tour those areas on our house visit...everything is kinda flat, not many forested areas...but they do try to add trees in the common areas of the bigger planned communities. I think you will be very happy in CR, Katy or even Fulshear, our price range is similar. We are feeling the sting of the high 3.4-3.8 property tax rates in these newer areas. All ours will be in college so paying a lot for amenities/schools doesn't fit our needs. If you find an established neighborhood 6+ years old you can lower that tax rate a full point.
Also check out Richmond area (Long Meadow Farms), had the best tree scape or Sienna Plantation in Missouri City..their trees made it look more natural

Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,779,808 times
Cinco Ranch is you want a bigger house and a long miserable commute. Oak Forest or Timbergrove if you want a short commute but a smaller, older house.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:00 PM

Thanks yes we saw Sienna Plantation and the trees looked amazing but worried about the commute.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Cinco Ranch is you want a bigger house and a long miserable commute. Oak Forest or Timbergrove if you want a short commute but a smaller, older house.
Great will look into those areas Thank you.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:23 PM

569 posts, read 1,084,571 times
I-10 and 610 interchange is one of the most congested interchanges in the U.S. Sienna Plantation's location would make for a miserable commute. In the price range under $500K with good schools, I would suggest Green Trails. It is the closest neighborhood in the Katy area for a straightforward commute to 610. Not ideal, but better than Sienna.

You might find housing under $500K in zip code 77079 in Katy ISD (west of Eldridge and north of Buffalo Bayou), but the houses are older and the schools are good but not conveniently located (high school especially). The houses in Green Trails were built in the 90's by great home builders and continue to be sought after. There is limited and much older housing stock in Spring Branch (north of I-10 closer to Beltway 8, but homes under $500K tend to be zoned to much lesser schools).

Old 07-20-2016, 06:57 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,779,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmarc10 View Post
Great will look into those areas Thank you.
Something like this would should be minutes from work: 2307 Tannehill Dr, Houston, TX 77008 - HAR.com

Timbergrove is a very active neighborhood with tons of sports leagues and a nice neighborhood park, Jaycee Park with a splashpad for the kids and nice tennis courts.

This one is a bit smaller but cheaper (needs kitchen work) and backs right to the park: http://www.har.com/6735-cindy-ln/sale_48136764

If you want to be zoned to Oak Forest elementary which is considered one of the top in HISD this is what you can get for 500k: http://www.har.com/1333-thornton-rd/sale_64838494 which is a remodel, the newer 2 story houses are typically $750k-1M. That house is close to Candlelight Park which is also a nice park thats very active. I live near there myself.

Last edited by chris_ut; 07-20-2016 at 07:08 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
I-10 and 610 interchange is one of the most congested interchanges in the U.S. Sienna Plantation's location would make for a miserable commute. In the price range under $500K with good schools, I would suggest Green Trails. It is the closest neighborhood in the Katy area for a straightforward commute to 610. Not ideal, but better than Sienna.

You might find housing under $500K in zip code 77079 in Katy ISD (west of Eldridge and north of Buffalo Bayou), but the houses are older and the schools are good but not conveniently located (high school especially). The houses in Green Trails were built in the 90's by great home builders and continue to be sought after. There is limited and much older housing stock in Spring Branch (north of I-10 closer to Beltway 8, but homes under $500K tend to be zoned to much lesser schools).
When you say long commute what do you mean coming from Long Island we average 1-1:15 commuting times (wife 1:30) at the moment so fro better schools and home value we would consider 45-1hr. Also that budget is a range we can always move up a little if warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston