Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 PM

25 posts, read 95,002 times

Advertisements

Dear Houston,

It's time for me to move on from NYC to bigger and better things. I hope you are it. Convince me to move here. I would love to hear about everything that you have to offer. I want to know about the good, the bad, the weird; whatever it is, I want to know. I've never visited yet (I'm coming in March) so let me know the "must see" places;.. in other words, let me know what you're all about. I do have some specific things I would like to know such as:

1) What does your city offer an older guy like me. I'm about to retire.
2) I love everything Asian. Where can I find some good Asian places to shop and eat?
3) The weather, the weather, the weather. If you've been in NYC during the summer with high humidity, let me know the comparisons.
4) Utilities, Property taxes, real estate market. What do I have to know about moving into your beautiful state and city.

Coming from New York, I accept no bull. Just kidding, I would love to hear from all of you.

Cheers,

New Yawker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:58 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,966 times
There is a large Asian community in Houston and surrounding areas. I recently attended the Chinese New Year lunar festival at the Chinese Community Center for the 2nd year in a row. You can google CCC and learn about it -- it's located in an Asian district (near Bellaire Blvd. and Beltway 8).

One obvious difference is the lack of public transportation in Houston compared to NYC.

I don't think the heat and humidity compares at all to Houston -- I'm originally from Queens and I don't remember any summers & fall like the heat & humidity like we have here in Houston.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,666 times
Yeah, the summers in Houston will be, on most days, hotter and a more humid than in New York City (although, I have a co-worker from NYC that tells me that there can be a few days in NYC in the summer where the heat and humidity are worst than the average summer day in Houston).

And Houston has a large Asian population, mostly Vietnamese, but a growing number of Chinese as well. The "center" of the Asian community is in the SW quad of the city along Bellaire Blvd, roughly 10 to 12 square miles depending on how you define the boundaries.

Also, Houston is more car-centric than New York, so expect to drive, unless you are able to settle down inside the Loop, where public transit is a little more accessible (although, still not to the same degree).

Expect more greenery as well. Because of the humid climate and because Houston has a lot of single, detached homes with lawns, there are a lot of trees (of many varieties) and grass here. Some people who've never been to Houston are surprised by this.

Also, Houston has multiple "centers" spread throughout rather than a dominating distinguishable core like Manhattan (that is, Midtown, etc).

Also, people say y'all pretty frequently.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:24 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
2) Houston Chinatown,Chinese Restaurant in Houston Guide

Old 02-14-2008, 06:10 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-new-york.html

Y'all = Yous guys

Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
1. Extremely affordable housing in the suburbs of Houston. You could buy a nice home and retire in it. Also, if you golf, you can golf year round in Houston...even December and January. Overall an extremely more affordable cost of living.

2. Extremely large Asian population with tons of great food, etc.

3. Like I said: year round golf, however, in the summer you will get weeks of 95 degree heat with 90% humidity. People from Houston think its funny when David Letterman does his yearly complaints about the weather on his show. "Oh no, a stifling heat wave with 50% humidity". HA!

4. Energy utilities are high in the summer to run your AC. We use natural gas for heat here, not heating oil. It tends to be cheaper, and since the winters are mild, you actually don't run it that much. Property taxes are approx. 3%. But, since you can get a nice home here much cheaper than NY, its probably a wash. The real estate market here is a slow, steady rise. It doesn't spike one way or the other. That's what tends to keep prices lower.

For an idea on home prices and what you can get, surf around Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:35 PM

20 posts, read 91,843 times
You should have no problem blending in. People from all over the world live in Houston. It can be as dangerous in Houston as in any other big American city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: