Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:27 AM

21 posts, read 27,178 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

As we get closer to our tour of Houston to decide if we want to live out there, I was thinking it would be nice to spend one of our days with our kids (2, 4, 9) at a waterpark. We're tacking on an extra day for this (THURS-FRI), so we thought about maybe spending one night in Galveston (we're currently booked at a hotel in Energy Corridor). With the age group of my kids, what would be best between Typhoon, Moody and Schiltter?

I see that we can stay at Moody Gardens and that they offer packages with passes to Schittler, but is that worth it? Is there more than enough to do at Moodys (helllllooo nickle and dime-ing!)? Or should we just stick with Typhoon and extend our stay at our current hotel?

Also, does anyone know of discounts (I love coupons!) for any of these places? I saw Pepsi cans or Subway receipts for Typhoon, but don't see much for Moody's or Schittler.

And, to be clear, I don't mind paying extra money, I just want to make sure I get what I pay for.

Thanks for your input!
Chi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 10:41 AM

672 posts, read 847,856 times
We have an annual pass to Moody Gardens and my kids (6,9) love going there. Between the Palm Beach waterpark, the Aquarium, the rainforest and discovery zone pyramids, they always have a blast. Good 3d/4d movies playing throughout the day as well. They also like the paddlewheel boat as well.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:02 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,776 times
Typhoon Texas doesn't have enough shade for my liking. My favorite in the Houston metro area is Wet n Wild Splashtown which is in Spring.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:53 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
Schlitterbahn is 3 1/2 hours from Houston in New Braunfuls. It's one of those "we're going to San Antonio" types you make it a whole deal. Riverwalk, Fiesta Texas and Schlitterbahn.

I second Splashtown vs Typhoon Texas. Getting to Splashtown is better too. 45 can be trippy but you can take many roads to avoid. I-10 is kind of a one trick pony.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
I never have been to Thphoon, but we really like Schlitterbahn as a water park.

We had an annual family membership to Moody Gardens for three years. The water park isn't what the others are, but we still enjoyed it. Moody Gardens offers the other attractions listed above, so it's a bit different .

Moody Gardens is better for younger kids IMHO. I think with your kids ages MG might be better. Don't do the paddle wheel boat. Waste of time.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:12 PM

672 posts, read 847,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Schlitterbahn is 3 1/2 hours from Houston in New Braunfuls. It's one of those "we're going to San Antonio" types you make it a whole deal. Riverwalk, Fiesta Texas and Schlitterbahn.

I second Splashtown vs Typhoon Texas. Getting to Splashtown is better too. 45 can be trippy but you can take many roads to avoid. I-10 is kind of a one trick pony.
Maybe he meant the Schlitterbahn down in Galveston that isn't nearly as good as the one in New Braunfels.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:11 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
^^^ Maybe. The one in Galveston is a sad imitation of the original.

I second Moody Gardens being for younger kids. It's like Sea World for the 2s and 4s. The 9 year old is old enough to enjoy Schlitterbahn but with being outnumbered by toddlers somewhere more for the younger ones is probably your best bet.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:47 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

Schlitterbahn is also in Galveston. Schlitterbahn is good and so is moody gardens. Moody gardens has more varied activities and also palm beach. Palm beach is lots of fun for younger kids like yours. Sounds like they are just looking for a fun outing with kids near here they are traveling. They can find that at any of the parks mentioned.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:46 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,138 times
There is a Groupon for Moody Gardens right now, just FYI

Old 08-04-2016, 05:34 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,928 times
If I had to choose between Typhoon Texas and Schlitterbahn Galveston I would choose Schlitterbahn Galveston.

Typhoon Texas isn't as good as Schlitterbahn Galveston. Much smaller, longer lines. It's their first year and they're off to a rocky start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston