Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,244,298 times

Advertisements

HERO will stimulate jobs? Perhaps feelgood jobs that don't pay squat. Sorry but I have 4 mouths to feed. BTW I am witnessing this cowardly PC attitude slowly infiltrate... and at the end of the day it hurts competitiveness, and loses money & jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 AM

702 posts, read 1,237,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I guess you haven't paid attention to what's going on in the Carolinas because plenty of business were vocal about it
Which businesses in particular?

Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 AM

470 posts, read 455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
HERO will stimulate jobs? Perhaps feelgood jobs that don't pay squat. Sorry but I have 4 mouths to feed. BTW I am witnessing this cowardly PC attitude slowly infiltrate... and at the end of the day it hurts competitiveness, and loses money & jobs.
Yeah, as the 21st Century goes on, more and more companies realize that there is no room for hate and intolerance anymore, and will make it a point to distance themselves from anywhere such conditions exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
Which businesses in particular?
Too many to list.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 AM

Any time a company embraces gayness and transgenderism, they lose big money. As a matter of fact I have shorted stock and made enough quick money to take a couple of nice family "surprise" vacations based on this premise alone. Hasn't failed me yet, and I'm not afraid to say it.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
One thing we do know is that Houston is still gaining population at a similar rate it has over the past few years. We know this by the number of new utility connections reported by CenterPoint in its last quarterly report. So there has been a great deal of diversification but more is needed.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...esilience.html

I (we) have brainstormed ideas on this forum over the past year. 1) We need to pass a HERO like ordinance so that Houston can compete with cities like Austin, Dallas and Plano, which have those types of ordinances, for Tech transfers and new start ups in that sector. I think you remember my unambiguous support for that referendum. 2) Maybe you remember my unambiguous support for the UT expansion into Houston and their plans for a "intellectual" hub in Southwest Houston, not far from where you live if I'm not mistaken. Houston can do many things to help itself, however I think that help from the state not only makes sense for Houston but for the state as a whole.

I don't think offering tax breaks for one industry or group of industries and not all is a good idea. Amazon did get a tax abatement for their new facility in north Houston but so did Exxon/Mobile and that's the way it should be.
Real Business, with good paying jobs, do not select where to move and innovate based upon something like the HERO ordinance. They look for tax abatement, low acquisition costs, wages, availability of skilled (or unskilled) labor, infrastructure, and security.

Anyone who thinks that real business, other than hollywood, musicians, and washington elite types care one iota about a silly ordinance, needs to really analyze where they get their news, and how they are letting the .00000000005% of the population influence their day to day actions.

At the end of the day business wants to MAKE money....profit is all that matters. No profit, no money, no money, no jobs. Period.

You think China cares about a HERO ordinance? No - Mexico? No, India? No - yet THAT is where all of our jobs are going...not just manufacturing, but also our professional jobs too. HERO is the OPPOSITE of what will bring jobs to Houston....Employers want SECURITY that they are free to operate without additional costs or threats of suit...all HERO does is INCREASE the likelihood they will be sued. HERO does not create jobs, it prevents them from.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:20 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Any time a company embraces gayness and transgenderism, they lose big money.
Im sorry but there is no way you can prove that. If you look at the most profitable companies in the US, almost all of them have some sort of protections for gay employees do. Mine makes billions a year and weve been gay friendly for over two decades.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:25 AM

There is a difference between treating everyone equally, and ''embracing'' i.e. promoting an agenda.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
There is a difference between treating everyone equally, and ''embracing'' i.e. promoting an agenda.
Ok, how do you define the two?

Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,775,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Will these job numbers keep all away all the morons who want to move here?
my thoughts exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Im sorry but there is no way you can prove that. If you look at the most profitable companies in the US, almost all of them have some sort of protections for gay employees do. Mine makes billions a year and weve been gay friendly for over two decades.
One word can prove it: Target.

Look up their loses in the wake of their ideals. Over $1.5B at last count...

Old 08-10-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ok, how do you define the two?
Every large company has a policy in place for "equality." That you can look up yourself, and dates back to the 90s or even earlier.

As far as "agendas" go, I let one demographic define that for me... uppity white suburban moms. The well-educated ones with their husband's money / credit. That may not be PC either, but it is a Good way to make some extra cash just by staying in tune with their opinions.

And again I've never seen a case where embracing transgenderism Didnt have a negative impact. I'd definitely be interested in any examples though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston