Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 PM

32 posts, read 63,251 times

Advertisements

Folks,
We are with AllState. No complaints apart from the cost, it's getting seriously up there. Who are you using and most importantly if you have had to claim.....how did that go? I don't want to save 'x' bucks and then find the runaround when something goes wrong.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 03:21 PM

50 posts, read 117,808 times
My original agent retired (Allstate) and his working partner took over the business but several years later he died and his son took over. After that, my prices started rising and over several years they got pretty high so I left and went to Amica. Much cheaper but they wouldn't insure my home so I went back to Allstate after price shopping and found that the agent I had before leaving was gouging me. As for filing claims....if you get a good adjuster to come out, then things usually go smooth but if you get one that's company through and through, it can go pretty crappy.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:25 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,440,717 times
Amica is one of the best in the business (if they will take you). We have them now for everything, but there was a period of time at our old house where they wouldn't insure due to original plumbing.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:15 PM

50 posts, read 117,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Amica is one of the best in the business (if they will take you). We have them now for everything, but there was a period of time at our old house where they wouldn't insure due to original plumbing.
I'm 9 miles from Galveston Bay but not in a flood plain and they said I was too close to the coast for them to insure my home. Never had any claim problems on my cars with Allstate plus the auto rates were cheaper than Amica. At one time, my wife was having wrecks left and right and I figured they were going to drop me but they didn't. Knock on wood, it's been years since she had one....bout time lol. My home insurance is just a tad over 2000 per year!

Old 08-26-2016, 06:18 AM

186 posts, read 209,579 times
We have GEICO for auto. Used to have them for renters insurance too, but we just bought a new house so it's no longer needed. We will probably get our homeowners insurance through them as well, after the first year (builder pays for the first year). My husband has had them for years. When we combined our insurance, he refused to switch, even if it saved money. We've had a small handful of claims over the past few years and they've always been very helpful and quick with response and reimbursements. Very happy.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:28 AM

32 posts, read 63,251 times
Thank you folks. Any takers out there on Farmers or Liberty. I see them advertising a lot. I'll follow up on Geico.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2016, 08:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,811,293 times
I've been with Farmers for 10 years. Not the cheapest around but they've taken care of us when we had a claim. No hassles at all.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 AM

672 posts, read 848,128 times
We have Liberty Mutual for Auto and Homeowners Ins. of America for the home. Liberty Mutual is $140 per month for 2 car, full coverage on both, and Homeowners of America is $850 per year. Never had to file a claim on either.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:59 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,988 times
Every couple of years, our insurance rate spikes, I make an angry phone call to my agent, and he shops around to find us a better rate. We've never had any auto claims, and only had one home claim right after we bought our house almost 4 years ago. As such, I don't know how helpful our current insurance company (or at least a couple of our previous ones) would perform if we needed them.

For 300k home coverage with 5% deductible we pay a bit under $900/year (Homeowners of America). At one point, one of our previous insurers raised our rate to nearly triple that.

For full coverage on two 2016 vehicles (two drivers), we pay around $1850/year. Travelers.

From my experience, if an insurance company constantly runs TV, youtube, and print ads, then they have high overhead costs that they pass on to consumers.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,775,835 times
stay away from geico, they are horrible in an accident/claims situation.

We have Texas Farm Bureau and couldn't be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston