Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:18 PM

946 posts, read 1,142,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstongal22 View Post
Yes! your lender pays your property taxes, however you are responsible to file the homestead exemption with your county. At the beginning of the year I usually mail blank forms to my clients closed the previous year, that way they don't forget. It's so easy to forget this. In order to claim homestead for the current year you have to have lived in the property as of January the 1st, sine this is not your case you have to wait until 2017 to file for the exemption and it will be effective for the same year. In the meantime for this year the previous owners exemptions remain in place.

In regards to your valuation as mentioned in previous response it had to be filed prior to May 31, you would need to bring comparables for the area specifically similar properties I would focus on the lower prices of course and show why mine's value is lower ie. Mine is smaller, or older, or condition is not as good, I have a smaller lot, point out if they have any type of major upgrades ie. new roof, it has a pool, recently remodeled and so on it has to be major key structural and updates that will affect value.

Your monthly payment for taxes go into escrow and the mortgage company pays your annual taxes from there. If they already did your escrow analysis after you dispute your appraise value with the county and you are successful then you need to go back to your mortgage company and tell them your appraised value has been adjusted and ask them to do a new escrow analysis to reflect the change in your monthly payment.
For the comparables do I use Zillow?

Thx for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 10:41 PM

60 posts, read 56,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
For the comparables do I use Zillow?

Thx for the info
I wouldn't since Zillow will show zestimates(and we all know how accurate they are). You are looking for real numbers not estimates. I haven't done one of this since at least 2007 I think so, I maybe a little rusty lol. I found online though that after you file your protest and around 15-20 days prior to the hearing date, Harris county will show in their website which properties they used to compared your house to.

“Once you log in here https://owners.hcad.org (and set up a user name/password) Navigate to the “Manage Your Property Accounts” page. You will find it at the bottom left of this page under “View HCAD Hearing Evidence.””) I got this info from the following blog Practical tips to win your property tax protest in Houston You may want to read it before you start working on this.

If the houses used are currently on the market you may want to ask your agent to help you getting photos and the remarks for the highlights of the property, so that you can use them in your advantage. Also, to your previous question if your appraisal is higher than you assessed value I wouldn't even bring it up at the meeting. Only if you have a lower appraisal bring it with you. It doesn't matter what you paid, the appraisal will take precedence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston