Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:42 PM

41 posts, read 56,340 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the area - moved from California to Missouri City (Sienna Plantation) last summer. For various reasons, we are moving to Katy/Fulshear area soon. We are loving my Texas, and I can even handle the heat (mostly!), but the part that is killing me is the mosquitoes. My 20 month old gets eaten alive any time we leave the house, and she is currently covered in scabs, because you can't quite make a baby stop scratching Sienna has a lot of water, and there is a creek behind our house, which has me wondering --- are mosquitoes a Houston-area issue in general, or is it just especially bad for us because of where we are currently living? Are they also really bad in Katy/Fulshear area? Please weigh in with any/all input!!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 05:03 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,689 times
They are a Houston issue. There is no escape unfortunately. It will be worse around water obviously but there is no safe zone.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:12 AM

25 posts, read 36,262 times
Houston issue. Buy mosquito spray and put it on her clothes every day. If she's is getting them on your own yard, set up a fan to help blow them away so they have a harder time landing. You can also set up mosquito systems or spray pesticide on your own place.

I do know some places are worse than others...mosquitoes don't fly very far and there has been a lot of rain lately. It takes very little water for them to breed...something like am upturned bottle caps worth of water or gutters that don't drain correctly, trays for potted plants, etc , etc. So check near your home for stagnant water. More likely to find mosquitoes breeding in a bird bath than your lakes. Lakes have fish which eat the larvae.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I don't know what's been going on for the last few years, and I'm a little bit afraid to ask, but for some reason I really haven't been eaten by mosquitoes for many years living up here in Plano/Dallas area. We have a pool (likely irrelevant bc chlorine) and live by a creek and a golf course, but it's like they left. Weird, but good bc I am not spraying chemicals on myself or my kids.

Op, basic avoidance includes staying inside at dusk, wearing long sleeves, checking all over your neighborhood for stagnant water (it could even be a bucket or old tire), etc.
Moving water should be less likely.

I know some people spray for mosquitoes and others swear by the citronella.

You can also make or buy a CO2 trap. Google it. Th here is a super easy one you can make with a 2 liter coke bottle and some yeast and sugar.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:09 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,689 times
Also check out Thermacell products on Amazon.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 AM

41 posts, read 56,340 times
Bummer - I was really hopeful I would hear that they are just local to where we are currently living. The thermacell products, though -- wow! They have great reviews on Amazon! I will definitely be doing some research and will pick something up. Thanks!!

Old 06-30-2016, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 8,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't know what's been going on for the last few years, and I'm a little bit afraid to ask, but for some reason I really haven't been eaten by mosquitoes for many years living up here in Plano/Dallas area. We have a pool (likely irrelevant bc chlorine) and live by a creek and a golf course, but it's like they left. Weird, but good bc I am not spraying chemicals on myself or my kids.

Op, basic avoidance includes staying inside at dusk, wearing long sleeves, checking all over your neighborhood for stagnant water (it could even be a bucket or old tire), etc.
Moving water should be less likely.

I know some people spray for mosquitoes and others swear by the citronella.

You can also make or buy a CO2 trap. Google it. Th here is a super easy one you can make with a 2 liter coke bottle and some yeast and sugar.

It might have something to do with your blood type. A friend of mine's blood type is Rh-O, besides ABO, and just repels mosquitos.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:29 PM

455 posts, read 525,921 times
I recently discovered Cutter lemon eucalyptus insect repellent and can personally vouch for it. I was mulching and doing various things in the garden about a month ago (not as hot as now but hot enough). Not a single bite after 2 hours and having soaked my shirt in sweat! Not bad...

Old 07-01-2016, 06:22 AM

186 posts, read 209,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy RW View Post
It might have something to do with your blood type. A friend of mine's blood type is Rh-O, besides ABO, and just repels mosquitos.
Yeah. Blood type/body chemistry plays a large role in how "popular" you are with mosquitoes. Apparently my blood type/body chemistry is exactly what they are attracted to because I get eaten alive like I'm their Thanksgiving feast, or something. So annoying.

Bug spray has helped. Also, my husband swears by the dryer sheet thing. (Bounce in particular.)

Either way, I hear ya. Damn those nasty blood suckers...

Old 07-01-2016, 07:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy RW View Post
My mom's O neg and they eat her alive.

No, I think even if they didn't want to eat ME, I'd see them and hear them or have another attacked family member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston