Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM

189 posts, read 225,226 times

Advertisements

I'm sure if most of you guys money was in jeopardy, you would not go down without a fight. I find it funny that the word "greed" is used to describe what these men and women busted their butts for 20*+ years just to live well in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:44 PM

705 posts, read 1,263,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
I'm sure if most of you guys money was in jeopardy, you would not go down without a fight. I find it funny that the word "greed" is used to describe what these men and women busted their butts for 20*+ years just to live well in the end.
Couldn't agree more. And let's be real, they're not even living "well'' in the end. The endless health problems most of the firefighters have to deal with; from cancer to going deaf, there's a lot of underlying issues they have to deal with. But according to some, they should just lay down and take it because they need to do their part in saving this city money.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:13 PM

189 posts, read 225,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Couldn't agree more. And let's be real, they're not even living "well'' in the end. The endless health problems most of the firefighters have to deal with; from cancer to going deaf, there's a lot of underlying issues they have to deal with. But according to some, they should just lay down and take it because they need to do their part in saving this city money.
Agreed. Whatever side of the issue you fall in, this is not going away. It is now being left up to the folks of Houston. Let the Voters Decide.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:46 AM

391 posts, read 426,906 times
I thought this was a done deal? It passed the legislature and the Governor signed the bill. What do you two hope to accomplish in shilling against it now?

-edit- Ahh of course, there's a lawsuit pending. Yea, good luck with that ...

Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 AM

There's always a fight going on. It got passed this time, but it can be bought back up to the legislature again in 2019.

Those greedy firefighters...always trying to fight what was promise to them. And for what it's worth, they did do their part saving the taxpayer and city money but giving up higher wages and raises. One side kept their promise and did everything that was asked of them and the other side reneg on it but yet the side that kept their promise is made looking like the bad guys.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 AM

986 posts, read 1,278,413 times
I'm not opposed to reform, but the people who are already vested should be grandfathered. If a private company promised you a retirement package and then changed their mind once you were 20 years into employment with them (or worse, already retired), we'd call them immoral or even criminal.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:34 AM

391 posts, read 426,906 times
All city employees took a haircut on the pension reform plan. That's what happens when plans are designed around un-realistic expectations and kicked down the road until GASB rule changes force them into the light. Nobody's being mean to the firefighters - their union was complicit in creating this mess along with the plan designers and administrators.
Would you'd rather it not be cleaned up, and the can just kicked further down the road?

Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 AM

24,089 posts, read 15,200,084 times
Every city council, school board, county commissioner's court, etc. uses consultants when they talk of raises and pensions. Most of these consultants pull figures from goodness knows where and tells the group they can afford whatever it is they want to do.

Unless and until these consultants can be held accountable for their mistakes these pension crisis will continue.

Trouble is, by the time it is public knowledge that the prognostications are wrong, the consultant has retired or moved or works for somebody else.

Pink Lady, check out how many people are screwed over when the company just goes bankrupt to avoid paying out what they promised?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:13 AM

986 posts, read 1,278,413 times
Good point. I don't think that should happen either. I just want a perfect world. What's the problem here?!?!?!

Old 07-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
All city employees took a haircut on the pension reform plan. That's what happens when plans are designed around un-realistic expectations and kicked down the road until GASB rule changes force them into the light. Nobody's being mean to the firefighters - their union was complicit in creating this mess along with the plan designers and administrators.
Would you'd rather it not be cleaned up, and the can just kicked further down the road?
I agree reform needed to happen, but the firefighters negotiated in good faith over their salaries because they choose to keep their pensions. That is now being taken away, I see nothing wrong or greedy about them fighting for it. And you said ALL city employees..your council members and mayor are still getting their fat pensions, and they work a lot less then firefighters and police officers.

Someone commented earlier about the firefighters getting to determine their pension and its like a kid in a candy store...what do you think council members and the mayor are doing? Cutting every budget/pensions/salary but their own.

Private company or government employees, either way it's wrong. No one should take it lying down, every one of yall would fight for something you worked hard for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: