Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 11:38 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times

Advertisements

Last October Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas sent me a letter giddily congratulating me that my PPO plan was NOT being cancelled for 2016. As a result of this rather strange communication, it occurred to me that I had just experienced a very close call and that previously unbeknownst to me, I was probably navigating very close to the proverbial edge.

Yesterday, I received an email from the Kelsey Seybold Clinic here in Houston - my healthcare provider - notifying me that the edge has now been traversed, at least as far as it relates to coverage with them. Here is an article about that from the Houston Business Journal:

Quote:
Blue Cross drops Kelsey-Seybold Clinic from most plans

"This is very disappointing to Kelsey-Seybold and our patients," Spencer Berthelsen, managing director of Kelsey-Seybold Clinic, said in a statement. "We have made a long and diligent effort to continue our participation with Blue Cross. We deeply appreciate the trust which our patients have placed in us. We pledge to work with them through this transition and hope that they will continue to choose Kelsey-Seybold for their care."

The changes could affect 100,000 patients as 470 doctors at 20 locations go out of network, increasing the costs for health care, according to the Houston Chronicle.
Of course Kelsey Seybold is insisting that BCBS has dismissed them from their network and BCBS is insisting that Kelsey Seybold has dismissed BCBS as an insurance provider. This apparently applies to around 100,000 people in the Houston area, all of who are sure to be relieved to hear the finger pointing, blame-shifting and squabbling between these two organizations in lieu of providing any productive solutions to our current conundrum. {sarcasm}

I talked to them both organizations this morning and that is apparently what their plan of action currently is.

Anyway, I am apparently now in the market either for a new individual health insurance plan, or a new healthcare provider, and maybe both.

Thanks, Barack!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 11:42 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Default Wha?

What is going on here? If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Also, if you like your plan, you can keep your plan. And lastly, your costs will go down on average of $2500!

Seriously though, Texas is fortunate in one regard, Texas knew what BS this scheme was and did not participate in the exchanges. Just imagine the calamity if Texas did... Texas would be stuck with a mess, and we, the taxpayers, would have to pay for it one way, or another. Good call, but the politicians won't get credit for it.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:56 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,053,807 times
Have you even checked out the exchanges for what you can get? May suck because texas wont allow texas residents the same option for low cost plans available in other states

That being said... Kelsey seybold recently formed its own managed healthcare company Kelsey Care. BCBS my bet is angry they would pay a true competitor provider money while the patient is under their BCBS plan.

But yes if your first thought in life is to blame the US president for the goings on within BCBS texas I can see why you wouldnt bother to look into things

Old 08-05-2016, 12:10 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,739,494 times
Welcome to the crap the rest of us have been stuck with. Obamacare is a travesty that screwed those of us who were buying our own insurance. This year I went to self pay and just pay the stupid fine since its such garbage now. I may pick it up again when I hit my 50s if the system hasn't been overturned or crashed and burned from massive losses by then.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:43 PM

447 posts, read 488,286 times
BCBS cancelled PPO this year. You can't keep the same plan like last year. At least we couldn't. The same went for United customers. I don't know if all of them, probably not, but a lot of them. Our coverage prices are insane, for no good reason. That sucks, big time.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:49 PM

672 posts, read 847,856 times
I have BCBS of Illinois which still covers Kelsey.....but it doesn't look like it will for much longer! UGH! They'd better not cancel before my wife gives birth LOL

Old 08-05-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
BCBS cancelled PPO this year. You can't keep the same plan like last year. At least we couldn't. The same went for United customers. I don't know if all of them, probably not, but a lot of them. Our coverage prices are insane, for no good reason. That sucks, big time.
I still have a grandfathered BCBS PPO, and have not received notice of cancellation, at least not yet. I could well receive that in October, just to add insult to injury.

I think they cancelled quite a few PPO plans last year in Texas and stopped selling new ones, if I understand correctly. But a good number of older PPO plans were grandfathered, apparently including mine.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
I have BCBS of Illinois which still covers Kelsey.....but it doesn't look like it will for much longer! UGH! They'd better not cancel before my wife gives birth LOL
If you look on Kelsey's website, they have information about all this. The bad news is that it does not appear that your BCBS coverage will cover Kelsey for much longer. The good news is they have a number of transitional exceptions listed, which includes coverage for child births in progress at the time of the cutoff on October 1, 2016.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:17 PM

672 posts, read 847,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If you look on Kelsey's website, they have information about all this. The bad news is that it does not appear that your BCBS coverage will cover Kelsey for much longer. The good news is they have a number of transitional exceptions listed, which includes coverage for child births in progress at the time of the cutoff on October 1, 2016.
I just got off the phone with them, and you're correct......we lose our docs with KS on 10/1 as well! WTH!!! My wife is going to be upset! She loves her doc and the kids doc as well. Now we have to apply for that transitional care until the baby is born. This really sucks!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:11 PM

162 posts, read 178,450 times
Whew! We just made it. My wife delivered our son on July 6th. Her OB/GYN is from Kelsey and we are on BCBSTX PPO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston