Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:51 AM

111 posts, read 130,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero100 View Post
You can actually buy those cameras (called borescopes) pretty inexpensively on amazon and its a good tool to have. But the second opinion is always good (and have the plumber double check the work of the guy the home warranty company sent).

I wouldn't call insurance. I doubt you have $2000 worth of damage even if you do need to replace drywall.

I have an older house and in general I budget $1000-$2000 of maintenance/surprise expenses a year, just part of the deal. That's a better way to manage expenses than the home warranty company (which probably is costing you upwards of $800 a year for just appliances and you don't get good contractors). Some people have luck with them but I never did.

Welcome to home ownership! You will be an expert in no time...
Thanks the warranty was included in our plan for the 1st year (AHS)

We will most likely not renew and use quality companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:14 AM

270 posts, read 406,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwrath View Post
Aero thank you!
Luckily the boiler drain valve was the issue. (It was plastic and replaced with brass) the plumber showed the hole and that is where the leak came from. I find it strange that water heater do not come with brass valves.
The water heater (kenmore 2008 model) is probably going to be in our budget to be replaced within the next 2 years.

Since this occurred, every day I have gone into the attic to check for leaks. I might have a top-rated plumber come out for a quick inspection of the unit.

The only area it seemed to have affected is in the kitchen (maybe 3x3) - see pic in original post.

We thought removing the lights/panel would open up a hole above. Literally, the attic down to the kitchen there is nothing else it could have flown through such as a closet or bedroom. I took a lashlight and touched diligently felt/chcked all areas and have not found any wet walls, drips or bubbles.

We drilled a few small holes to still get air circulation up there as well.

Anything else we should do?
Only other thing I would do is once you get everything dried out, try to repair that hole in the light fixture yourself (you seem to have good instincts!). Drywall repair is a good skill to learn, easy, really cheap if you do it yourself, and since it's covered up anyways you have nothing to lose if it doesn't look good. Just be mindful of wiring behind the light while cutting out remaining drywall to make a clean square hole.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:29 AM

111 posts, read 130,247 times
Sounds good. My father-in law was in the drywall business for quite some time and said he would help/supervise me when he arrives.

Obviously we had some drippage and have not turned on the ceiling light since we noticed the leak.

We should not need to worry much about electrical issues on the overhead light?

I think that is all of my questions. I appreciate the amazing advice.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:59 AM

270 posts, read 406,013 times
If you left it off you won't have electrical issues in the light as long as it has dried out, damage (shorts) occurs when it is wet and electrified. Make sure all the water is out of there and dried before turning it back on (fixtures can hide water in corners and such). If it works after drying out, you're in good shape. If it doesn't work just replace it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: