Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 116,375 times

Advertisements

We are living in southern CA , planing move to Houston. We have a daughter 12 years old, outstanding,She speaks ,reads ,writes, three fuller language ,, looking for the top private school in Houston. I hear about St John school, The Kinkaid school, Alexandra Smith School, and The valley school, Can anybody give me some suggestion about that , or there are better private schools. Also if can give some idea the house pricing around those school , that will be very helpful, Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Those schools you listed are all very good, however I think you mean The Village School. Alexander Smith is often know for really rich kids who can't make it through normal school because well.......their spoiled. It does have some athletes mixed in though.

I'll add in Strake,St. Agnus, Duchene, St. Francis,Regis, Awty.

The schools you have listed are central Houston and the good neighborhoods are still very pricey.

What's you price range and where is the area of employment? I can help you more if with that info in mind. Also, admissions is basically closed at this point for Fall 2009. The process started back in October for most of those schools.You might be able to get a spot, but its doubtful. They are all becoming increasingly harder to get into.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:48 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsl View Post
We are living in southern CA , planing move to Houston. We have a daughter 12 years old, outstanding,She speaks ,reads ,writes, three fuller language ,, looking for the top private school in Houston. I hear about St John school, The Kinkaid school, Alexandra Smith School, and The valley school, Can anybody give me some suggestion about that , or there are better private schools. Also if can give some idea the house pricing around those school , that will be very helpful, Thank you very much.
Can we assume this daughter has a better understanding of grammar than ... oh, nevermind.

The top school in Houston has long been considered St. Johns. Duchesne is right behind it. Kinkaid is not bad, but is often a safety choice for rich kids who can't quite make it into SJ.

One guide to quality, not perfect but interesting, is the admittance ratio. Houston Business Journal runs a list every year of top private schools, and one of the columns is this ratio. SJ was under 20%. Kinkaid was 30%, the rest all higher from there.

YMMV. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
I meant to add, the neighborhoods surrounding many of these schools are *very* expensive. You can live close (5-10 miles) for a more reasonable price, but if you want to live IN the neighborhood, expect to spend multi-millions.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Those schools you listed are all very good, however I think you mean The Village School. Alexander Smith is often know for really rich kids who can't make it through normal school because well.......their spoiled. It does have some athletes mixed in though.

I'll add in Strake,St. Agnus, Duchene, St. Francis,Regis, Awty.

The schools you have listed are central Houston and the good neighborhoods are still very pricey.

What's you price range and where is the area of employment? I can help you more if with that info in mind. Also, admissions is basically closed at this point for Fall 2009. The process started back in October for most of those schools.You might be able to get a spot, but its doubtful. They are all becoming increasingly harder to get into.

Thank you very much. we have own business, we don't have pacific area required, Her school is our priority

Old 02-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Can we assume this daughter has a better understanding of grammar than ... oh, nevermind.

The top school in Houston has long been considered St. Johns. Duchesne is right behind it. Kinkaid is not bad, but is often a safety choice for rich kids who can't quite make it into SJ.

One guide to quality, not perfect but interesting, is the admittance ratio. Houston Business Journal runs a list every year of top private schools, and one of the columns is this ratio. SJ was under 20%. Kinkaid was 30%, the rest all higher from there.

YMMV. Good luck!
.Thank you , yes she is amazing, we provide her language environment, She been international school in two different countries

Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Finding top private schools is not the challenge. Getting into them is.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM

363 posts, read 1,145,899 times
Quote:
Also, admissions is basically closed at this point for Fall 2009
[SIZE=2]This is not true. Many schools are still testing new applicants. March 10th seems to be when most of the private schools send out acceptance letters to new students for the following year. But if the school has space in a particular grade than they will take them until all the spots are filled.

[/SIZE]

Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
[SIZE=2]This is not true. Many schools are still testing new applicants. March 10th seems to be when most of the private schools send out acceptance letters to new students for the following year. But if the school has space in a particular grade than they will take them until all the spots are filled. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
The application deadline for all of the schools mentioned was before Feb6th. They are testing now but the application deadline and interview process has passed.

The price range for the schools mentioned ranges from 12,000 to 18,000 per year.
St J is by far the hardest to get in. For HS freshman this year they had over 300 applications for 26 spots.
If you live on the West side consider to Village,Kinkaid or St Francis. If you live inside the loop consider First Pres,AOS, River Oaks Baptist and AWTY.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 35,663 times
I go to SJS middle school and I would say it's a great school. Good teacher-student ratio (about 15-1). Very nice teachers and not at all a big workload. Though it is very hard to get in, if you are trying to get in it is harder if you do not have a legacy( sibling going there already).Within 5 miles of the school there are 500,000- million dollar houses. Further out there are 300+ thousand. I also would advise you that if your kid does not to a LOT of extra curricular activities it is profoundly hard to get in.Since your daughter is 12 if she is not applying for 6th she will indefinetly have to wait for the high school entry point. So I suggest going to ROB school because a high percent of kids from there have made it in our school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: