Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:34 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Pearland and worked for many years in the Silverlake area before it was what it is. When I left, (I lived in the Woodlands briefly) and then I moved to the newer section of Pasadena on the fringes of Clear Lake. After a couple of years, we were looking to move to a larger home and I had decided that I would leave Pasadena and go back to Pearland but once we began looking..... Pasadena was getting really nice as were the residents moving in -- a cut through of Space Center all the way to the lake made it even nicer. The commute would have taken me 20-30 minutes longer just to get through all the red lights and traffic to get to the highway. Looked all around the area and in Clear Lake proper but my commute into downtown was great so we stayed in the immediate area. I haven't had a desire or a reason to drive down to that area of Pearland in about 6 years. Today, I did. I know how much most everyone loves it who moves there but I have to say .... traffic was a real "b" and that was on a Saturday morning -- just bumper to bumper from light to light through all that shopping area in the Silverlake area to 288. I saw nothing but side-by-side strip centers (albeit nice ones), restaurants, retail shops, etc. But it was visually cluttered and I just found it unappealing. The neighborhoods are nice but one runs into the other and they all look alike with not even an open lot to divide between subdivisions. I would have never in a million years guessed that I would ever say this - but I was happy to get home to Pasadena. Yeah it may get a bad rap but most of those giving it the rap are those who haven't been through in many years or perhaps have never been through and are talking about a decades old sterotype. The older section - near 225 - yeah it probably lives up to that but that is about as far as it goes. Don't get me wrong - Pearland is an excellent place to live - I just didn't care for the look of progress. I prefer the older side of town that looks less like Houston and is pretty much built out so it has less visual clutter. I'd rather drive an extra mile or two to get to retail and see something that looks different. Even in Clear Lake, which is very nice, all built out, you can easily tell the difference between neighborhoods and the retail shopping strips look different from one another. Sad we don't make 'em that way anymore. It all looks the same now..................with not enough infrastructure to make for a semi-pleasant commute.

Last edited by texas7; 03-01-2008 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Yes. I just drove down 288 earlier. Cars backed up at the 518 exit for a good quarter mile. Cars in the next lane trying to cut ahead in the exit lane. It can only get worse. It looks like a strip mall bomb went off down there....

Old 03-01-2008, 03:07 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
When you drove down 288 and looked over at 518 - did you see me sitting on 518 - banging my head on the steering wheel saying "why, why, why did I decide to get myself into this mess of traffic?"

Old 03-01-2008, 04:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
When you drove down 288 and looked over at 518 - did you see me sitting on 518 - banging my head on the steering wheel saying "why, why, why did I decide to get myself into this mess of traffic?"
Quite possibly. This was around quarter to 1 this afternoon....I was passing over on the overpass though.

518@288 is a little too close for comfort to the overcrowded mess in the Raleigh, NC outskirts I once haunted...lots of development sans the transportation infrastructure to support it all. I can see this whole scenario playing out in 5-10 years along Highway 6 in Manvel. 518@Silverlake wasn't all that congested when it was new (which wasn't that long ago at all).

Old 03-17-2013, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,974 times
I positively hate how crowded it is out here and we just moved here a year ago because my husband took a promotion with his company. I already can't wait to move again and I do not particularly enjoy the hassle of moving. I want to get out of this bumper-to-bumper traffic and shoulder-to-shoulder housing and into the country where a person has a little breathing room. My plan is to be out of this area within five years and it can't come soon enough.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
wow. This thread is 5 years old. Pearland has gotten A LOT more crowded since then

Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
I hear you lambsnake. I live in Dickinson and travel 45 up to the East part of Houston and it's just horrible. 45 needs to be at least 4 lanes each way from Galveston up to 610.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,958 times
I work in the Pearland area and live in the Heights and the traffic on and around 288 is really so much worse than anything around my house, even during rush hour. It's just that the only stuff in Pearland is all on 518 so the entire town drives through there. It is really bad that a suburb that far out has more traffic than many innercity areas. Pearland just grew and continues to grow too quickly to keep up with.

But, there is a good variety of stuff there and the houses are relatively cheap in the area and there is a pretty diverse populatiom, all kind of close to town.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Maybe I'm behind on this one but I've always wondered why 288 was never expanded like 45, 10 and 59, same with 290. I guess TXdot didn't plan ahead for these roads or maybe the growth was underestimated. IDK something needs to be done, because the commute times are only going to get worse. I think a commuter rail would work for 288..a atraight shot to TMC would be nice IMO.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I work in the Pearland area and live in the Heights and the traffic on and around 288 is really so much worse than anything around my house, even during rush hour. It's just that the only stuff in Pearland is all on 518 so the entire town drives through there. It is really bad that a suburb that far out has more traffic than many innercity areas. Pearland just grew and continues to grow too quickly to keep up with.

But, there is a good variety of stuff there and the houses are relatively cheap in the area and there is a pretty diverse populatiom, all kind of close to town.
There are now two other roads to go east to west and back, but they are still 30 to 40 mph roads with stop signs so many people do not use them.

Southfork becomes Magnolia becomes John Lizer.
Bailey Road is narrow, but now has a bridge.
You can also get on and off 288 at McHard Road.

I almost never drive on 518 except for a very short stretch to get to HEB.

I go into Pearland Town Center the back way - from Southfork and Kirby
I go into the Target Mall from CR94 (turning in at the Cinema) after turning onto 94 from Southfork too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston