Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 AM

509 posts, read 736,930 times

Advertisements

My parents moved here in the 60's because Dad was admitted to Rice. They chose to stay in Houston after he graduated (and turned down several prestigious job offers in the northeast) because the economy was booming here, and the winters were mild.

Several of my relatives have moved here from Illinois for better job opportunities.

I went through some initial training with the Marines in Southern California in the 80's (I was in the Marine Corps reserves). Fantastic climate and endless recreation options there. However, I came back to Houston because Southern California was way too expensive, and the traffic was actually worse! For me, economic opportunity combined with modest cost of living outweighed scenery & climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,419,666 times
Because New Mexico is 3rd world in every aspect.

Last edited by BrianH; 04-20-2017 at 08:50 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 AM

509 posts, read 736,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EVCali View Post
I miss things like book fairs, cultural activities, theater, and a variety of shopping.

Plenty of that in Houston. You might want to look inside the loop if those things are your priorities.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:35 AM

951 posts, read 1,454,672 times
I moved from Boston to Houston because Boston is like a 3rd world country city or I should say it feels like 1960's East Germany in every aspect

I will never forgive myself to choose living in Boston for 9 years in that Siberia cold and trashy looking shacks called apartments.

Houston is 500 years ahead of Boston in terms of modern life. Boston as a city is a disgrace to this nation. It should be completely demolished and rebuilt again.

I wish I came to Houston much sooner but then at the time there was a no internet to research and compare cities.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM

986 posts, read 1,274,225 times
When you speak only in hyperbole, it makes it difficult for others to consider the point you're trying to make.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 AM

951 posts, read 1,454,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
When you speak only in hyperbole, it makes it difficult for others to consider the point you're trying to make.
Take it however you want

It is a personal opinion anyway

I never hated any place more in my life.

Not seeing the sun for 10 months, riding the subway system built 130 years ago, trash not picked up properly due to its being a union job, you see rats (not mouse) everywhere especially downtown.

The whole city is a shack. You never see a construction, they think they preserve history by keeping grayish black colored walled buildings all over the place. China town is a joke with 2 blocks each way.

Rich people get a second mortgage to buy parking spaces not everywhere but in congested areas. I did not get to housing prices yet

And yes unions. A construction company can not get a build permit if you don't agree to hire union workers. And they make what? $70/hr. Not like Houston where you go to westpark and pick any Mexican you want (yes it is good thing it is heaven)

I lived in an apartment with no door bell. I asked the land lady to get one. She said "oh do you know how much does it cost to do that?"

There is no walmart target best buy or any big stores in Boston. real estate is so expensive nobody dares opening one.

In 1996 they opened home depot brand new in Dorchester and I went there just to see a real chain store for the first time in my life. First time because there was nothing else in Boston. I was shocked when I saw high ceiling store with clean walls and shiny floors.

I feel sorry for people living there. They do not live in USA they live in East Germany in 1960s. And that is an exaggeration by any measure.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,942,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
Take it however you want

It is a personal opinion anyway

I never hated any place more in my life.

Not seeing the sun for 10 months, riding the subway system built 130 years ago, trash not picked up properly due to its being a union job, you see rats (not mouse) everywhere especially downtown.

The whole city is a shack. You never see a construction, they think they preserve history by keeping grayish black colored walled buildings all over the place. China town is a joke with 2 blocks each way.

Rich people get a second mortgage to buy parking spaces not everywhere but in congested areas. I did not get to housing prices yet

And yes unions. A construction company can not get a build permit if you don't agree to hire union workers. And they make what? $70/hr. Not like Houston where you go to westpark and pick any Mexican you want (yes it is good thing it is heaven)

I lived in an apartment with no door bell. I asked the land lady to get one. She said "oh do you know how much does it cost to do that?"

There is no walmart target best buy or any big stores in Boston. real estate is so expensive nobody dares opening one.

In 1996 they opened home depot brand new in Dorchester and I went there just to see a real chain store for the first time in my life. First time because there was nothing else in Boston. I was shocked when I saw high ceiling store with clean walls and shiny floors.

I feel sorry for people living there. They do not live in USA they live in East Germany in 1960s. And that is an exaggeration by any measure.
A Target is opening soon on Comm avenue. They have a Best Buy in Cambridge and another in Dorchester which you mentioned. There are Walmarts in the burbs, but I don't think that is a big loss. Walmart is not the greatest store in the world.

The Central Square Target Is Taking Shape

While the subway is old, they are hopefully refurbishing it. The Green line is the most problematic. It's still better than no trains except for the little lines we have here in Houston. And at least Boston has a great commuter rail system to the burbs (Houston has some park and ride, but even that is not something that those of us in some places don't have - like Pearland). I prefer Chicago, but Boston was ok in terms of transportation. The COL though is very high, so I can see why people move away. The whole northeast is very expensive.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,942,890 times
We moved for my son's job (I moved because the grandchildren are with him). We moved first to Louisiana and then here after Katrina.

Home here is not anywhere as nice as the one we had in Louisiana and the one in Louisiana withstood the hurricanes where as my home here had more problems from Ike. We were in an older home in Evanston, Il, but it was much better built than the home we bought here.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 AM

87 posts, read 126,609 times
I'm born and raised in Jamaica. One my aunts moved here in the 80's to be a nurse in the med center, another aunt and her family followed shortly after, then when it was time for me to go to college I was given the choice of anywhere in America where we had relatives. So New York/Jersey (hell no to snow), Miami (is like an extension of Jamaica, wouldn't feel like I was extending my horizons) and Houston. So Houston it was.

Jamaica is my home, I go back every year, my parents are still there, and I hope to retire there, or least have a retirement vacation home there were we can go an cool out for the winter. But Jamaica like many developing countries is a struggle economically, you can make it, you can build a life, but it is not as straight forward as it is in America or Canada. My best friend and his wife are doing great, but I have a cousin older than me who has been unemployed more often than he has been employed in the last 15 years. It's a crap shoot which of those people I'd end up being.

Except for 2 years in London (gray/wet 10 months a year, crowded, expensive, inconvenient.....great to visit, sucks to live) in my 30's, I've been in Houston since 1997, and it's the place for me.

Is it the most cosmopolitan, nope, are the summers brutal, yep, is it sprawling, disjointed, and not always pretty, sure.

But I've always had a job because the economy has always been healthy, I could pick the lifestyle I want to lead (urban socialite/suburban family man) and still be with 25 mins of all my friends, now say what you want about strip malls and big box stores, but I like being able to pull into a parking space, buy whatever I want load it into my SUV, and be on my way in under 15 minutes (there is a lot to be said for convenience) and the COL is reasonable.

No city is perfect, your Houston is what you make it, it has a lot to offer you just may have to go find it. But if your priorities are mountains, beaches, and/or a bustling downtown, then it ain't for you.

Last edited by RedOrDead_YNWA; 04-20-2017 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: detail

Old 04-20-2017, 11:17 AM

1,011 posts, read 978,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post

Houston is 500 years ahead of Boston in terms of modern life. Boston as a city is a disgrace to this nation. It should be completely demolished and rebuilt again.
Ra's Al Ghul, is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston