Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 6,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
You kind of remind me of myself. After high school I kind of goofed around for about 3-4 years until working at Wally World scared me straight. Soon after enrolled in engineering school.

Hahaha. I really know what you mean, except it's working in fast food that has scared me straight.

Dunno about school though. It's an option in the future. I was hoping to get a suggestion for the short term (can't stand living at home anymore)

However some of the above posters have really helped me so thanks to them for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
You might go to a community college like San jacinto college and get a process technology certifcation. Then you can go work at one of the plants then and do much better than okay.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeadventurer View Post
Hahaha. I really know what you mean, except it's working in fast food that has scared me straight.

Dunno about school though. It's an option in the future. I was hoping to get a suggestion for the short term (can't stand living at home anymore)

However some of the above posters have really helped me so thanks to them for that.
The good news is you are still young and have a lot of time to recover from mistakes. Trust me that almost everyone on this forum would give up a lot to be in your early 20's again. I would do things differently in my personal and professional life that's for sure. It's when you are pushing 40 that your margin for errors get very small.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 AM

783 posts, read 576,740 times
You can join the Texas National Guard. It's a part time commitment, but it might help you get started feeling a bit better about yourself by serving. You'd also get some very good training in various skills that may make you more marketable and help you get a full-time job. Also, you might be able to get a leg-up on employment as a veteran. Not to mention the education benefits. You might even like it and decide to roll over to a full military career.

Just another option.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:51 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I would start working retail and move my way up the ranks. Save your money and stay at home until you have a good chunk of money saved up. Save everything you can, and even pick up side jobs to earn extra money. Don't rack up debt, but get a credit card in your name. Pay it off every month to build your own credit.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:09 AM

16 posts, read 29,790 times
I wouldn't recommend Midland-Odessa to anyone as I would rather be unemployed living under a bridge than working out there. However, if you really are set on supporting yourself with only a HS diploma think of places nobody wants to live. Look at North Dakota and Midland. It isn't going to be nice but you'll have a decent paying job.

If I were you I would stay put and get a AAS in either process technology or instrumentation and controls and then try to get an hourly position working at a refinery in Texas City or Lake Charles. If you aren't able to do that I would recommend learning HVAC at a trade school and starting as a technician in the Dallas area.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:02 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,834 times
HVAC, plumbing and electrical companies are all suffering from a shortage of reliable, drug free, labor.

There are entry level positions open. Many of these companies will work with you to get you trained and some of them even train fully in-house.

Yes, it is hot in the summer but an experienced HVAC tech can make over $100k a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston